CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

As the weekend arrived, Ari, Hugh, Varun, and I found ourselves standing outside the entrance to the Slytherin common room. The flickering light from the torches cast eerie shadows on the stone walls, creating an atmosphere of mystery and anticipation. With a deep breath, I pushed open the door, and we entered the heart of Slytherin territory.

The room was adorned with deep green and silver decorations, giving it a distinctly serpentine vibe. Soft, ambient lighting illuminated the space, casting a dim glow that added to the enchantment of the party. Students, elegantly dressed in robes of various shades, mingled and laughed, their voices blending with the soft strains of music in the background.

Tables were laden with an array of delicious treats: golden goblets filled with Butterbeer, trays of delicate pastries, and exotic fruits from distant lands. The room was alive with chatter, laughter, and the occasional burst of magic as students showcased their skills. It was a sight to behold, the Slytherins reveling in their element.

Ari, Hugh, Varun, and I stuck close together, navigating through the crowd with cautious excitement. People were dancing and drinking, not many from the other houses had show up just some huffelpuff and a couple of ravenclaw. "This is better than I expected" Ari says and I nod, Hugh laughs "yeah definatly was expecting people jinxing and torturing but this is quite a rave."

As we took in the lively scene, I felt a prickle on the back of my neck, like I was being watched. I turned and immediately met stormy grey eyes across the room. Regulus. My stomach turned as I noticed Amaryllis Carrow clinging possessively to his arm, whispering in his ear. He held my gaze for a suspended moment before raising his drink in a subtle toast.

I felt my cheeks grow warm even as an icy sadness trickled through me. I quickly looked away, unable to bear the sight of him with Carrow.

"You okay?" Ari asked gently.

I nodded, blinking back foolish tears. "I'm fine, don't worry about me. Let's just try to have fun tonight."

Ari rubbed my back consolingly. As we moved through the crowd, I could feel Regulus' eyes following me. The weight of his stare made my skin prickle. 

Izvak approached me with a wide grin on his face. "Thanks for accepting my invitation, Potter. Here's a drink for you," he said, handing me a glass of butterbeer. His gaze then shifted to Varun, and a mischievous smirk crossed his lips.

"You must be Varun?" Izvak inquired. "Why don't you take this butterbeer?" He moved the glass towards Varun before I could reach for it, and Varun accepted it with a playful wink. "Hey, that was supposed to be for me!" I protested, but Izvak just shrugged nonchalantly. "Go get it for yourself. I prefer your friend," he remarked, his attention still on Varun. I noticed a faint blush spreading across Varun's cheeks, and I couldn't help but smile. With a farewell gesture, I dragged Hugh and Ari away, deciding to find our own drinks elsewhere.

We were chatting lightly with some Hufflepuffs when a slurred voice rang out behind us - "Well, if it isn't my blood traitor cousin's adopted sister and his pathetic friends."

We turned to see Bellatrix Lestrange regarding us with disdain, swaying slightly with a drink in hand.

"Shove off, Bitch," Ari spat. "Wouldn't want to ruin your lovely party."

But Bellatrix's glare fixed on Hugh, her lips curling cruelly. "Mckinnon, isn't it? Heard your Mudblood mother and pathetic father got what they deserve. and your sister begged to be killed be-"

Hugh went rigid, his face draining of color. Before anyone else could react, he whipped out his wand. "Don't you dare speak about my family, you deranged hag!" but his wand was pointer to the empty space as I had landed a hard punch on her face making her fall to the ground. I clenched my wand, my heart pounding with a mix of anger and determination as Lucious Malfoy and Barty Crouch Jr. stand in frount of us with their wands drawn.