Favorite nephew

As we walk Annabeth mentions my niece's death.

Percy finally asks, “Alright, what happened to this girl that Grover was to protect.”

I sigh, “Her name was Thalia. She was the daughter of Zeus. Grover was her protector and he failed.”

Annabeth says, “While he was taking Thalia to camp he ran into Luke and I. We got so close to all of us making it. We were being chased by a monster and Luke got hurt. We weren't going to leave him behind so Thalia attacked the monster to give us a chance. It killed her...”

Her voice breaks so I continue, “Zeus took pity on her and decided no other child should die that way. So, he let her live in another way. He turned her into a tree and the tree created a barrier to protect camp.”

Percy looks shocked, “Oh I am so sorry.”

“Percy, normally we don't speak of it. I just figured you needed to know someday.” I say.

Looking up ahead I see a diner. We run over to it and walk in. Then we sit in a booth and a waitress walks over.

“Do you even have money to pay for food?” she scowls.

Suddenly the diner goes quiet and a motorcycle engine shuts off. As a biker man walks in everyone but us stands. They all look like their under his spell. He makes a flick of his wrist and things go back to normal. Then he turns to us. I smirk as I see who it is… Ares.

He smiles and walks over to us. Ares wears sunglasses hiding his eyes.

He says, “Give them the works. It's on me.”

Ares sits next to me and the waitress doesn't move. I can tell he is rolling eyes. As if he is controlling her he motions for her to leave. She does in somewhat  of a military manner.

“Who the hell are you?” Percy asks.

Annabeth looks scared and nudges him, “Don't-”

Ares cuts her off, “Nah that's okay. I don't mind a little mouth, so long as you know who is boss.”

I try to hold back a laugh, “And you are the boss?”

He smirks at me, “You know it baby girl.”

I stop laughing and glare at him. Then I hit him in the arm.

“I am older than you!” I reply.

He chuckles, “You were a baby for how long?”

I don't reply and just cross my arms.

“Your Ares.” Percy figures out.

I roll my eyes.

Ares sneers, “I'd be careful with names, kid. By the way I heard about you breaking my daughter spear.”

Percy says quickly, “Ya sorry.”

Ares laughs, “I don't care, I don't fight my kids fights.”

The waitress walks back with the food. I smile and take a bite. Ares gives her some drachma. She gives him a look. Ares starts to play with a dagger threatening her.

“Is there a problem, miss?” he asks.

I give him a glare and she walks away. Ares puts his dagger away. Then he puts his arm around my shoulder.

“You can't just threaten people.” Percy growls.

“Actually I can, just like I can turn you into a weasel and run you over with my Harley.” I give Ares a glare he knows well.

He glances at me and finches slightly.

Then he adds, “But I am trying to be nice for my aunt.”

I smile and turn back to a shocked Percy, “What he knows better than to mess with me?”

Ares says, “Now, I need you three demi-gods to do me a favor. See I was taking my girlfriend on a date to the carnival, but I had a feeling something was gonna happen. I need you three to go get my shield.”

I catch what he said, “Wait you said three demi-gods.”

He nods,”Yup you aren't going. You guys do this for me and I'll get you a ride, money, and so much more in a goodie bag.”

“Why should we do this? We are already on a quest.” Percy says.

“Because old seaweed brain can wait. A god is asking you to prove yourself.”

“Why can't I go?” I say.

“Because I said so.” Ares gives me a look that tells me I can't argue.

I cross my arms and the others go. With one more glare Ares goes to get his ‘Goodie Bag’. I continue to eat until he gets back then we sit up at the bar.

Ares changes the channel to the Greek entertainment. Suddenly I see Percy and the others screaming. Ares laughs and I smack him on the head. Soon they return with the shield.

“You could be T.V stars.” Ares laughs.

“You knew about it being a trap.” Percy growls.

Ares rolls his eyes, “Of course I did. Why did you think I didn't let her go with you?”

He tosses Percy the bag and says, “Have fun.”

I look around and don't see any of his cars, “Wait where is the ride?”

Ares smiles and points to a zoo truck.

I tease, “Oh so we get to spend time with your relatives.”

He sends me a glare and I smile. We get in the truck. After several hours of the others sleeping Annabeth wakes up.

She asks, “How could you talk to him like that?”

I smile, “When you live with them for so long they aren't that bad.”

She smiles, “You should get some rest.”

I nod and shut my eyes.