Pesky Tests

Clarissa POV

     "King! King! King!"

     "You must have learned your lesson now, bitch!" King growled in my face as he used all his force to choke me.

      "No one gets away by insulting me, me! The king!!!" he roared with anger in my face but ended up laughing manically while I used my hands and legs to push him away but for some reason I couldn't remember my training, I couldn't remember how to use my hands and legs to fight. It seems that I was missing something, it felt like I was not able to remember someone who was a crucial part of my training.

       But who was that person and why am I so confused?

       The grip on my neck brought me back to reality as I with a hint of fear cowered before his craze filled laughter and thrashed underneath his grip to get away from him. Taking notice of my futile attempts he snickered in my face "Don't waste your last breaths by providing me entertainment, even though I love to see you squirming but I strongly feel that instead of your pathetic escape plans, you should plead the heavens above to book a reservation for you" and smacked me on my face.

       My face burned where he hurt me but instead of confronting him, I wanted to hide away in a corner but isn't that what I always do? Shouldn't I be not doing that because I've grown strong?

       The words I was thinking deeply reciprocated my behavior, I don't even know what I was saying and why I was even thinking that? In the past, I was a coward and no matter how painful it was to accept it, I would always admit my helplessness but this time that was not the case. Some part of me was rebelling inside of me to not think something so shameful...

       Loud gasps started to form from the back of my throat as his grip tightened more and more on my neck almost to the point where I could feel it breaking at any point. My body started to go numb as cold invisible cloak fell over my shoulders and my eyes started to shut down on their own like they had no energy left, like I was gonna...die.

       I have accepted death several times but this time there was a resistance from my side which was not letting me accept it. Somewhere in the back of my mind there were certain encounters or incidents that somehow transformed me into not crouching before the death but instead fighting against it.

      Physically, I was overpowered but, mentally, there was a voice echoing that was making me mad and also giving me a ray of hope that yes, I can fight against him, that I don't have to submit to death but his hands on my neck was not letting me revolt against him.

        When I finally felt that his grip would shatter me into pieces, I felt the hold of his hands from my neck vanishing until I didn't feel it at all.

        "Ahh" there was a loud shrill in the distance but as soon as his heat from my neck disappeared, I collapsed on my knees choking on my breath as I finally got to swim in oxygen.

         After a moment, when I peeled my eyes open, I gasped involuntarily and stumbled backwards until I crashed into the wall but the shock lying before my eyes was too much for me to feel the pain on the backside of my body.

         My eyes stayed open while my breathing hitched and the banging of my heart got worse, worse than the King pushing me against a wall with his hands surrounding my neck. My eyes kept getting wider with every passing second and my mouth was in a frenzy as it would open and shut on its own but never a word coming out of it. Goosebumps rose on my skin as sweat wet my palm and stained my face.