Do you remember that night? (sambucky) (edited)

highschool au

Sam hated being blackout drunk. He liked being able to remember things that happened to him, plus if he wasn't blackout drunk there was less of a chance of him doing something stupid.

Obviously there was still a chance, but it was significantly less.

Tony had a party at his house to celebrate finally graduating high school. Sam decided to go. All his friends had been telling him that Tony's parties are so much better than all the other high school parties.

(It's a rich school in a rich neighborhood. There's a shocking amount of parties.)

Sam remembered getting roped into a game of Never Have I Ever, which he got very drunk playing, and that was where his memory got hazy.

There was one thing that stood out, though.

Him and Bucky were sitting outside. The stars were pretty. Bucky was kissing him. Sam was clutching his hand like a lifeline.

Bucky remembered everything about that night. He remembered him and Sam leaving the party to get away from the noise. Sam was super drunk and very talkative. He moved from testing, to college, to aerodynamics, to how much he liked Bucky's smile, in a matter of minutes.

He wouldn't admit it to anyone, but Sam was cute, in a dorky, nerdy way. He spent most of senior year in the library, reading about anything and everything. Bucky saw him, talking excitedly about the physics of flight to Natasha Romanoff.

Then Sam, in his drunk excitement, grabbed Bucky's hand, pointing at a shooting star.

"Make a wish." He said, staring up, the glittering stars reflecting in his eyes. Bucky remembered staring at Sam. I wish you liked me.

Sam turned to face him and grinned and he looked so pretty and Bucky knew he was drunk and he probably didn't feel the same, but he had to do something. Bucky leaned over and kissed him. Sam kissed back and grabbed Bucky's hand. He was holding it so tight, but Bucky didn't mind.

When Sam started to feel the negative effects of the alcohol, Bucky called him an Uber home.

They hadn't spoken to each other since.

Sam had to talk to Bucky. He couldn't keep avoiding him in the halls. It was awkward for both of them and embarrassing for anyone who saw Sam almost trip and fall down a flight of stairs in order to not run into Bucky.

"Okay, Sam. Easy peasy. Just tell Bucky that you remember the party and you really liked kissing him and, oh god, don't say that." Sam mutters to himself. "Hey, Buck, I really like- nope, that sounds dumb. Don't call him Buck, it doesn't sound-"

"Am I interrupting something?" Sam spins around to see Bucky standing behind him.

"No, no, I was just trying to figure out the right words." Sam rubs the back of his neck. "Sorry, I must look like an idiot."

"No more than usual." Bucky grins and Sam bites his lip.

"Okay, well, I asked you to meet me here to tell you that I remember the night of the party and-"

"Oh my god, I am so sorry about that! You were drunk and I shouldn't have taken advantage of you like that." Bucky apologizes. "It was wrong of me to-"

"Buck, I wanted to say that I liked it. I like you. And I was wondering if maybe you would want to go out sometime? When we aren't both drunk?"

Bucky lets out a breathless laugh. "Yeah, yeah, I would like that a lot."

"Does Friday work for you?"

"Friday is perfect."

in true val fashion i finished this at midnight the night before thanksgiving

anyways hope yall have a good thanksgiving <3

xoxo val