an empire that crumples from within (stony) (edited)

canon divergence from ca:cw

Steve leads Bucky through the facility, trying to keep themselves from making too much noise.

A loud metal clangs behind them and the super soldiers spin around weapons raised, only for Tony to walk in.

"You look a little tense, Cap." Tony says,

"It's been a long day. What are you doing here, Tony?"

"Could be your story's not so crazy after all. Ross doesn't know I'm here and I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise I'd have to arrest myself."

Steve attaches his shield to the magnets on the back of his suit and walks over to Tony.

"Sounds like a lot of paperwork." Steve grins. "It's good to see you, Tony."

"You too, Cap."

Zemo's words echo in Steve's mind as the movie starts to play.

'An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one crumples from within... that's dead forever.'

"I know that road." Tony says.

On the screen, the three of them watch as Tony's parents are killed by the Winter Soldier.

"Tony, Tony." Steve says, reaching his hand out. Tony slaps it away, tears in his eyes.

"Did you know? Did you know that Barnes was the one who killed my parents?"

"I didn't-"

"Don't lie to me!" Tony shouts.

"Yes. I knew- but Tony, it wasn't him!"

"Bullshit!" Tony reengages the Iron Man helmet and charges forward.

Steve steps in front of Bucky, but Tony knocks him out of the way. He grabs Bucky and throws him against the ceiling.

Steve throws his shield, hitting Tony in the back, distracting him long enough for Bucky to run.

"Tony, it wasn't him! HYDRA was controlling his mind!"

"I don't care about that! I've had twenty years to mourn my parents! I care that you lied to me! I care that you hide this from me!" Tony says, anger and sadness seeping into his voice. "I thought we were friends!"

"Tony-"

"No. You clearly don't care." Tony says, raising his blasters. He shoots once and Steve and aims at Bucky.

Their fight rages on, tensions ramping up, until Tony's armor is almost completely weakened and Steve and Bucky are both bloodied and bruised.

"I'm sorry, Tony, he's my friend." Steve says. He rushes forward, slamming Tony against the wall and ripping his mask off, before throwing him on the floor.

"So was I." Tony says, looking up at Steve, who raises his shield.

Tony's eyes are filled with fear and despair.

Steve slams the shield into the arc reactor and it flickers and goes out.

"Steve, I... I'm sorry. This is all my fault." Tony says, his voice barely above a whisper.

Steve drops his shield in horror.

"No, I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

Tony lets out a breathless laugh. "Definitely not." Steve holds out his hand to help Tony up.

"Hey, FRIDAY, asses damages."

FRIDAY rattles off a list of problems with the suit as Steve helps Bucky up.

"Listen, Stark-"

"It's alright. Cap was right, you didn't really have any control over what you were doing. I was just caught up in-" Tony gestures helplessly. "I'm sorry. To both of you."

"I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have jumped to the worst conclusion."

Tony holds out his hand. "Truce? We can work something out that works for the both of us. Like what we probably should've done at the start."

Steve grins and shakes Tony's hand.

"That sounds good."

The three of them walk out of the bunker, Tony leaning heavily on Steve as they walk back to the jet.

Steve programs them back to Avengers Tower, before sitting next to Tony as he drops his head on Steve's shoulder. 

my brother asked me to make up a what if episode and mine was what if civil war never happened and the plot was basically zemo still had control over bucky and the avengers actually communicate and solve problems like adults and they work together to save bucky yay happy ending! 

anyways thats the vibe i wanted from this

xoxo val