Stassie-Stitches

The mission had gone sour the moment Evie and I had rolled up. We had a meeting with a potential tech guy and as soon as we rolled in prophets came out of everywhere. Two minutes into the conversation and this jackass had the balls to pull a guy on my little sister so I did what I did best. Put down the threat.

Evie Indy 500'd us out of the parking lot and got us in the direction of her house before she could sew me up. "Shit, shit, shit." She screams hitting the steering wheel. "Mom is gonna kill me for fucking this up." I shake my head. "She's gonna ask and I'm gonna tell her I dealt with the problem." I could find a tech guy among the Santo's I just knew it; their bosses would give anything to make sure this deal goes through. "Put some fucking pressure on the wound Ana." I nod. "Yes ma'am."

An hour of Evie trying to not gag while she did my stitches I was done. I had enough of today and all the shitty things that had happened and wanted to go home. And I meant home, Massachusetts home. I had a little cottage in the woods, I would go and just leave everything behind and die happily not at the hands of some gang member.

When she was 'done', Evie handed me the keys to a BMW. "It's out back, everything's taken care of, just don't be stupid." I nod. "I can't, I'm leaving all the stupid with you." I say as I gather myself and cautiously walk out to the garage. "Don't tell mom anything. I will deal with it. Stay low and call me more, I'm lonely at the Santo's crib." She scoffs at me. "Just slither yourself in with one of those cholos you won't need your little sister then." I roll my eyes. "Mom and Dad are already trying to get me to do that so fuck of with your stupid shit." I get in the BMW and put the directions in for the Santo's.

Pulling into the driveway it's the first time that no ones in the front yard. It felt strange to be here alone. Pushing the front door open I heard the faint down of rap in the back yard and could smell some bomb food being cooked. I went into my room to grab a joint to take the edge off this botched stitch work.

As soon as I opened the door Spooky had a gun pointing in my face. I could tell he was always on alert. After I apologized he put the gun down and continued to cook. I could see a couple tattoos, scars on exposed skin but not much else.

This dude was hogging my joint and I was not having it when Spooky noticed the stitches had gone and I was bleeding again.

Here I sat on the counter letting this random dude heal me. He was extremely concentrated on making sure he closed it back up good. Spooky had offered me a painkiller but I was too scared of them after seeing what they had done to too many of my family members. Weed and Advil were my pain relievers.

I was really letting this guy know about my life. I shocked myself.

I let him see the worst three months, nineteen days and six hours of my life. I had done my best trying to cover up all the whip marks that I got. Seventeen marks for the seventeen years I was alive. I had all this emotion rush forward and slowly put it back into the little mental box I kept it in. I let him know the truth about Evie and about my childhood.

I was laying on my bed just thinking how stupid I was for letting this guy get the best of me. I shouldn't tell him everything, just the important things and what is necessary for our expansion.

I hadn't slept.

I just kept thinking about my reality and how fucked I was. And how no one would really ever get to know the real me. I needed to keep my guard up.

*INCOMING CALL my phone spats out.

Getting out of bed I answer the private number's call.

Mama?

M-Hello baby. How are you?

I'm good. I have to tell you about the job yesterday.

I walk out to the back yard to make sure I don't wake anyone up.

I hear a slight ugh from my mother and continue what I was saying.

It went sour really quickly, the dude pulled some shit and tried Evie.

M-And?

I took care of it.

M-How?

You know the usual putting a bullet in his hea....

Cesar walks out of the back door and scares me.

Glaoigh orm níos déanaí

That's all I could spit out before hanging up.

"So, you killed someone yesterday?" I nod. "That's how you got shot?" I nod.

"Wait how do you know?" Cesar points. "He told me."

Spooky walks out the back door now. "You ready for school?" Spooky asks without noticing me. "I can take him; I'm parked behind you anyway." Spooky was spooked that I was standing there. "Jesus Christ woman trying to kill me before eight am?" I nod.

"That's the way I like it." The pair of brothers just give me a look and I smack my face. "Fucking hell. Cesar get in the fucking car." Cesar lets out a little laugh and does as he's told.

"So whatcha up to today?" I shook my head. "Nothing really." Spooky lit a cigarette. "Great we are going to spend some time together so we can get to know each other."

Great is all I can think.

"Can we pick up my friends?" Cesar asks from the backseat. "You know you could have just sat in the front."

"Yeah but I want to feel like I'm in a Lyft." I laugh. "I'm not becoming your personal driver. I'm not your brother." He nods. "No, you aren't. You are a hell of a lot prettier."

"Thanks, but I'd be careful I think your brother's gonna have a claim on me by the time I get back." Cesar shifts over into the middle. "Compa he already does." A shiver went straight down my spine and I was covered in goosebumps by now.

I pulled over when Cesar told me to and there was two boys and a girl standing on the sidewalk. "Yo who let you out? Because it sure as hell wasn't Oscar." The smaller one says.

They open up the back door. "Guys this is Stassie, she is going to marry my brother." The tall boy just looks terrified. "Girl do you even know what you're getting yourself into?" I pull out a gun from the driver side door. "Yes, now boys in the back. Queens ride in the front." 

The girl whose name is Monse was very charming. And I could tell Cesar had a thing for her because every time I looked in my rearview mirror, he was staring at her. It was like he had hearts shooting out his eyes opening she would fall in love with him.

Pulling into the school I could see why Spooky drops his brother off. There was metal detectors instead of gates. 

"Be safe. Call if shit hits the fan." I say to the group.

The tall boy, Jamal is the last to get out. "Good luck talking to Oscar I hope he doesn't green light anyone you know." Before shutting my door. He better not green light someone I know. I'll kill him myself.