Stassie-Gone Girl

The day after Evie and Mikey went into the hospital Ma had me on a big run with Nicky. We were sitting in the loading dock when Prophets rolled up. I remember hiding, kind of blacking out and then almost waking up to see a whole hell of a lot of bloody bodies. Nicky rushed me to the Jeep and told me to leave immediately. I drove home the entire way without remembering how I exactly showed up at the house. A couple of the homies tried talking to me but all I could do was unlock the front door and wait.

Wait for something to happen. Yet nothing ever came. I heard Oscar pull up to the house and come inside and I was still in shock. I don't remember him taking me outside or burning my clothes but here I sit at the table with him ferociously scribbling down an essay. I had to distract myself with something and school work was something I could control.

At the fifty-five minute mark Oscar handed me his essay and I read it. It had a lot of mistakes, grammar problems but it still made me want to cry. 

"This was good. Some issues but I love the meaning." He grabbed my hand and squeezed.

"Thanks. So what's next?" I pushed a couple of the papers around and found the math book.

"This. Figure out how to do problems one to twenty while I make lunch." I stood up folding his essay into my pocket.

Opening the fridge I realized that we only had stuff to make dessert or get drunk. I turned around and Oscar was engrossed in the math.

"I'll be right back." I say to him. But he grabs my wrist.

"Not smart. Especially after today. Call Sad Eyes and tell him to pick up food."

"Oscar its not a problem. I'll go to the Whole Foods in Brentwood." He was pleading with me, I could see it in his eyes. I hoped he could see how much I missed doing small things like grocery shopping or actually leaving the house besides handling business.

"No, call Sad Eyes to take you. Go check on Mikey and Evie while you're at it. I'll stay here and study. Bring your gun." I nodded and walked into my room. I grabbed my phone and my gun, loading a new clip in. I dialed Sad Eyes' number and he answered on the first ring.

SE-What's up?

Sad Eyes I need you to give me a ride.

SE-Where we going?

Grocery store in Brentwood and the hospital.

SE-You're not in trouble, right?

Kind of. Spooky won't let me leave unless you take me.

SE-Guess I'll turn around. By the way Carmen's in the car too.

Good I could use a girl to talk to.

He hung up and I checked on how Oscar was doing. I looked over his shoulder when he reached around and pulled me into his lap.

"I'm almost done, princesa. Did you call Sad Eyes?" I nodded.

"You did number four wrong. Its actually, x equals seventeen."

"No you did the order wrong. Its eight."

"No you forgot the exponent. You do this first." I grabbed the pencil and tried explaining it but Oscar just played with my hair instead. We heard a car honk outside and I got off his lap.

"Wait! You forgot something." I turned around.

"What?" 

He patted his lips, I bent down and kissed him. "Hella annoying." 

"You are." I turned around flipped him off.

I skipped all the way to the car and Carmen got out to hug me.