Stassie-Intelligent

I woke up with a little hangover and got out of bed to make breakfast. I finished making scrambled eggs when Cesar came out of his room. "Eat something." I gestured towards the table full of food. "No thanks. I'm good." I rolled my eyes. "Time to chow down." I began eating and watched Cesar. "I'm gonna go throw up." I laughed and he ran into the bathroom.

I got an alert on my phone. Midterms are tomorrow be prepared.

I'm always prepared. Notes, Word and Google are always waiting.

I went into my room and grabbed my laptop and started my outline for the midterm.

Cesar came out of the bathroom and I handed him some toast. "Eat. This will soak up all the alcohol." He nodded and sat down at the table. 

"Whatcha doing?" He asked.

"Getting my degree."

"Oh shit. That's cool." I nodded.

"Midterms are tomorrow, and I just started studying."

"Do you always study last minute?"

"Yup."

I continued typing in my outline and Cesar had gotten up and left. Continuing I didn't notice the homies that walked in and sat down at the table.

"Can you make more Russian food?" I looked up at Sad Eyes. "Can you get Carmen to dye my hair tonight?" He stood up and pulled out his phone. "Mama I need a favor." Is all I heard before he walked out back.

I continued typing and started writing a list of food I'd need. Sad Eyes walked in. "She says she can do your hair tomorrow morning at seven a.m." I handed him a list. "Alrighty. Get me this stuff and don't forget the beef this time." Sad Eyes poked a couple of the guys. "Let's roll." He said walking out the front door with them.

Mikey was left behind, with a couple of guys and he was sitting on the couch. "Do you want breakfast?" He shook his head. "I will make you breakfast." He shook his head again. "I'm not going to poison you." He looked at me. "I'm making you breakfast." I stood up and grabbed a couple things.

Five minutes later I handed him an egg sandwich. "Here ya go." Mikey smiled at me. "Don't choke." I whispered as I went back to the kitchen table. "Stassie that's not funny." I rolled my eyes and continued studying.

Twenty minutes later Spooky woke up and was screaming about something. I heard him throw shit in his room and Mikey just looked at me. Mikey came and sat next to me at the table. "Just in case he comes out I'm gonna sit right here." I nodded. "Thanks." 

Two seconds later some chula was running out of Spooky's room naked making me laugh. Spooky started screaming in Spanish and I didn't care enough to try and listen to it.

"Yo Spooky. Que onda?" Mikey asked.

"Puta tried stealing money." Spooky looked at me. "Nice glasses." I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks."

"Bibliotecaria sexy. Aye." I rolled my eyes again.

"Shut up." He looked at me. "What?" I rolled my eyes again but this time I lifted them to match Spooky's eyeline. "Shut up. I'm trying to study." I pointed to the laptop.

He came around and looked over my shoulder. "What the hell is ex-is-ten-tial-ism?" I shut my laptop.

"Existentialism is a theory in which a person is a free and responsible person deciding their own paths through acts of their will. I see gang/mob life like this. You choose whether or not to be in a gang/mob or if you're in said gang/mob you decide how you live that life." Spooky just looked at me. 

"Your smart." I nodded. 

"This is my dissertation to get my master's." He gave me another look. 

"Master's?" I nodded. "Master's Degree." 

"Homie did you know she's in college?" Spooky said to Mikey nodding towards me.

"No. But that's cool, Stassie. What are you studying?"

"Urban Demographics of the modern day ghetto."

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"Ghetto. A term first used in the seventeenth century that became a popular term to define an area where Jews lived during World War Two. Now people use ghetto to mean a part of a city where minority groups lives because of socioeconomic injustice."

"Hyna is smart, smart." Spooky laughs.

"I want to understand the urbanism that happens in modern day cities. I took way too many classes when I lived in Boston. Where in the early nineteen hundreds many white families lived in the city and then both World Wars happened and white families left the city in dreams of owning a house. In the eighties more minority families start moving out towards the suburbs making the switch again. It's all due to money."

"I have no fucking clue what you mean. But you know what you mean." I nod.

"Its a tricky subject. Where's Sad Eyes? They've been gone forever."

Spooky pulled out his phone to call him.

"They got pulled over. They'll be here soon."

"Exactly what I mean. A minority like a Mexican-American getting pulled over for something stupid rather than a white person being jailed for whatever crime they commited. I don't know the percentage but someone like Sad Eyes is more likely to end up spending the night in jail compared to like....Tom Brady." 

"You know who Tom Brady is?"

I looked at Mikey. "Number twelve on the New England Patriots. He's starting quarterback and he sits in the pocket of Robert Kraft."

Mikey and Spooky shared a look. "Do you know football?" I nod. "Football, hockey and baseball are all my favorite things to go to when I lived in Boston." Spooky laughed closing my laptop. "Were going to a football game tomorrow."