Stassie-Jamal?

I really thought in that moment it was my time to go. I had prepared myself for my untimely demise year after year. Death had become my friend instead of something I feared. And hearing Oscar reassure me that it wasn't my time to go, made something inside of me change.

People poured in the following morning and left just as quickly. My mom came with clothes and shower stuff so I could feel better. Evie and Mikey had dropped Oscar's study guides off for him and brought me, my laptop. I started looking for a safe house close by. The day had seemed to go by faster and around nine p.m. the medication I was on kicked in and I fell fast asleep.

I woke to birds chirping outside my window and Sad Eyes passed out in the chair Oscar had occupied the last few days. I noticed a face that I had seen before pass my door and then pass it again but this time the boy came into my room.

"Stassie!" He said loud enough not to wake Sad Eyes. Finally I put this face with a name.

"Jamal? What are you doing here?"

"Just came to see my um-- Uncle, he, he well isn't feeling well." This kid was a nervous wreck every time I saw him.

"Okay, well I guess I'll see you on Christmas."

"Christmas? What about Christmas?"

"Ruby asked me to call Cesar for you guys. And now that I think of it, it was probably a surprise for you and Monse."

"Oh. Okay, how is Cesar?"

"Being Cesar." Jamal nodded.

"Okay. I'm gonna be late for class. Got to go. See you." He ran out of the room before I could say goodbye but he slammed my door on his way out waking Sad Eyes.

"Good morning." I said and he grumbled.

"Spooky's at his test. He'll be back soon." I nodded.

"Do you want breakfast?" I asked picking up the menu the nurse had left me.

"Pancakes and sausage. Oh and coffee too." He replied.

"Okay your royal pain." I picked up the hospital phone and ordered.

Since I came in with a lack of everything, my doctors pushed so much food on me. My mother kept trying to say I was dieting for New Years or for Oscar but I really had just forgotten to eat.

Food came and we feasted, leaving me in a food coma. I slipped back into a deep sleep. I guess I really was working myself too hard. This was the third time I took such a deep sleep in the past few days. Maybe it was seasonal depression I thought. But I wasn't like my normal depressed self. That didn't make any sense.

I felt someone move me and then hold me while I slept, I woke for a moment but fell back asleep in the secure embrace. Someone was playing with my hair, running their fingers up and down my face then down my side. A chill covered my body leaving me in goosebumps, I instantly knew it was him laying with me.

"Hi." I said with a raspy voice.

"Morning princesa." 

"What time is it?" The sun was still out.

"Three o'clock."

"How'd your test go?"

"Good, I'll get the results in a couple days." I nodded.

We stayed wrapped up in each other until the doctor came in to discharge me from the hospital with my nurse right by her side.

"Okay, make sure you actual eat and drink three to four times a day. No exercise until after the New Year and we want you to come back in a month to check up on your heart." I nodded and signed the proper forms.

"Can I shower and then go?" The doctor nodded and the nurse unhooked me from the IV line.

"Just don't forget about the staples in your head." Said the nurse.

"I'm a free woman again." I exclaimed.

"Go shower and let's go home." Oscar said.

The doctor and nurse left leaving me and Oscar in this drab hospital room. Pulling in a deep breath I climbed off the bed and made my way to the bathroom. The shower was hot and very invited on my end. After three days of having to take it easy I was able to be on my own again, even if it meant showering on my own.

I dressed in the clothes my mother brought me, Oscar was passed out in my bed. Shaking him awake he grabbed his shoes, sliding them on each foot.

"Ready?" I nodded and grabbed his hand.

"Ready."