9

i've been involuntarily racking my brain since ethan kissed me a couple days ago.

the way i felt like my entire body was on fire, and he was so gentle.

it might have been the adrenaline, or the fact that he's my best friend, but either way that was amazing.

today, ethan and i are hanging out for my birthday. he told me to "just be ready at 4:00". it's currently 3:00 so i'm just now starting to get ready.

i'm not too worried about looking amazing, so i go for a simple but cute look. i run the straightener through my hair, to make it look nicer. i then apply some concealer, and mascara to my face. my fingers reach for the minty lip gloss that i only ever use for special occasions, this being one of them.

once satisfied, my feet guide me to my closet and i search for an outfit to wear.

i don't want to go too casual incase ethan was planning something nice, so i decide against my usual ripped jeans and a sweatshirt.

my eyes run across a black long sleeve turtleneck crop, and my light high waisted jeans. i pair that with a simple black belt. that should do.

i slip on none other than my af1s because they're comfy and they go with everything.
(A/N: i'm also too lazy to think of anything else besides those)

i glance around the time and see that it's 3:50. great timing to be honest. my eyes travel back to the mirror in front of me and look over my appearance one more time.

the sound of a car pulling into my driveway makes its self apparent, meaning that ethan was here. i smiled and started walking down the stairs.

3 knocks placed themselves onto my door, and i lightly jogged to go open it.

"happy birthday soph!!" ethan tackles me in a sweet hug. he places a quick kiss on my cheek and i find myself blushing. in attempt to hide it, i chuckle while looking down and say "thank you!"

we both leave the house and get into his car.

"sing your heart out birthday girl" ethan says cheekily while handing me the aux cord to play music.

my finger moves straight to my tame impala playlist and i press lost in yesterday.

"i knew it" he says proudly. i chuckle and turn up the volume.

ethan and i start singing the lyrics and i swear moments like this will forever be engraved into my brain.

when i'm older, these moments will forever be the best moments of my life.

i played more songs, mostly tame impala, as ethan drove. i forgot to ask where we were going so that's exactly what i did.

"hey where are we going?" i ask.

"it's surprise birthday girl." he says smirking at me briefly before turning his attention back to the road.

it wasn't much longer of driving until we pulled up at a restaurant in the city. there was lights everywhere making the streets glimmer as the sky was a beautiful pink and orange. i truly loved the way city streets looked in the evening hours.

"where are we?" i ask once again hoping to get an answer.

"we are at your favorite restaurant to eat dinner and then we are going to the beach for sunset." he said. my heart burst with happiness and i smiled at him.

he grabbed my hand and guided me into the restaurant.

(A/N: it's boring to write about them eating so i'm gonna skip to when they go to the beach.)

ethan and i hop out of his car, and he grabs a bag from the backseat, with a bow tied to it.

"ethan what-" he shushes me and pulls my hand towards the water.

i feel my feet step onto the sand, and i smile. the wind blows through my hair, brushing it off my shoulders.

"okay" he smiles giddily and hands me the bag with a bow tried onto it.

"ethan you really didn't have to" i say and he interrupts me again.

"just open it" he says. i smile and start opening it. first i pull out an envelope that has my name on it in ethan's handwriting. there's cute little drawn designs around it. i cant tell what they are but i give him credit since he isn't exactly picasso.

i look up at him and he has the absolute cutest smile on his face.

my fingers slide across the envelope tearing the seal open. i flips it open and lightly pull out the papers in the envelope.

there's a a letter and two slips of thick paper. i furrow my brows in confusion.

"look at the two papers first." he rushes. i chuckle and flip them over.

T A M E    I M P A L A      STATE FARM ARENA
june 9, 2020

G6

T A M E    I M P A L A      STATE FARM ARENA
june 9, 2020

G7

"ETHAN YOU DIDNT" i screamed.

"OH BUT I DID" he says back.

i scream and tackle him in a hug. he laughs as he hugs me back.

"now you can hear lost in yesterday live" i shed a few happy tears and he wipes them away gently.

"thank you e. so so so much." i say he smiles down at me and pulls me in for get another hug. i take a deep breath and his cologne fills my nose. i smile and hug him tighter.

"okay now read the letter." he says. i nod and unfold the piece of notebook paper.

dear saint sophia parker,
within the past couple months of knowing you, you are easily one of my bestfriends. you mean everything and more to me. my favorite memories from all 18 years of life are the late night car rides, beach trips, and more. all with you. until recently, i never stopped and thought about how much you mean to me. you're always there for me no matter what, even when you're having a hard day. you help me when i'm scared or sad because you truly understand what it's like to have someone you love be sick. i'm so thankful to have such an amazing singer as my best friend too. late night car rides deffffinetly wouldn't be the same without that angelic voice of yours. you are such an amazing person and i am so so so lucky to have you as my best friend. happy birthday saint.

-e

ps- i hope u don't mind that i used your real name but i remember you once told me that it sounded okay when i said it. plus it's a beautiful name.

——————
A/N: cuties🥺 hi so you know how i said there would be no drama..........uhhhh sorry?