29

this chapter contains death, so if you are sensitive u might want to consider being careful. i don't go into detail, but it's still there. this is in no way meant to be disrespectful.

"hello?" i ask confused.

"hey sophia, im just letting you know that i won't be home for a couple days." he says hesitantly.

"okay, why?"

"a patient came in with really bad stage 4 esophageal cancer. he's not doing too well and they need me to help keep him alive." i nod my head feeling horrible for the poor man. i look over at ethan and see his face drained of color.

it doesn't take long for me to put the pieces together. it's his dad.

"i-i have to go sophia." he says fear striking in his eyes

"no i'm coming with you." i say.

he speeds off to the cancer hospital. his hands are gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles are turning white.

when we arrive at the hospital, ethan grabs my hand and runs towards the door. we quickly ask where sean dolan is and they say he's in critical condition. we're forced to wait in the waiting room, since sean is in ICU.

ethans leg taps repeatedly up and down and i hold onto his arm. the doors bust open again and i see grayson come running in.

grayson frantically spots us and runs to ethan they both crash into a hug and start to cry. after a couple seconds the release and sit down waiting.

as if on cue a nurse walks over to us and asks, "sean dolan?" all three of our heads snap up immediately, and we shoot up out of our seats.

"that's us" he says quickly.

"are you all his family?" ethan and grayson look at me and back to eachother.

"it's okay go ahead." i say not wanting them to lie to the nurse. they nod and give me a sympathetic look.

ethan and grayson follow the nurse down the hallway and into a room.

i take a seat back in the waiting area and wait.

ETHANS POV.

we walking to the room and i swear i've never seen my dad so fragile and limp.

"dad..." i quietly say trying not to cry. i've got to keep strong for him and grayson.

"hey boys" his voice comes out weak and scratchy. my heart breaks.

"hey dad." grayson says with glossy eyes.

dad look at mom and gives her a look of sympathy before speaking.

"i don't have much time left. and i want you both not to dwell over it. keep moving with life, don't stay back once i go." he struggles to get the words out.

grayson and i nod. i look down not being a able to see him like this anymore.

"ethan can we talk please?" my dad asks.

"yeah of course dad." i say. mom and grayson leave the room, leaving my dad and i.

"ethan i am so proud of you. i'm proud of the man you're becoming, and i'm proud to say that i'm your father." he starts making the tears involuntarily fall.

"you're gonna do great thing e." he says. i cant help but just breakdown i hate not being able to remain strong but fuck man.

"it's gonna be okay son." he says. i look back up to him.

"my last wish for you is to please tell sophia how you feel about her. life's to short to say 'later'. promise me you will tell her." i nod.

"i p-promise." i stutter. i hug my dad and then tell the others to come in.

he ended up having a separate talk with grayson as well. cameron had took the last plane to mee jersey this morning from georgia, and is driving here as we speak.

we she arrives. cam and dad have their talk as well.

we all sit and try to just talk and keep calm.

suddenly the machines hooked up to my dad start to beep striking panic in all of us. we all rush over to him and he's still got that happy smile on his face.

"i love you dad." i say quickly tears pouring out of my eyes. grayson quickly says the same thing i said and mom walks over to dad. grayson and i back away to let mom say goodbye. they kiss and she tells him she loves and that she always will love him.

then the time i dreaded most. he flatlined. i collapsed into the seat and broke down into tears. he's gone.

——-
A/N: IM SOBBING THIS WAS SO HARD TO WRITE RIP SEAN NATION I MISS YOU SO MICH