21. Changing fate.

Toga was playing a game with Eri while Jin and I were dancing once more. We were interrupted by Overhaul storming into the room with Shin behind him.

"Miki, get Eri. The heroes are here. You two..." He points at Toga and Jin. "... You know what your job is."

The two of them nod and I quickly lift Eri into my arms. The villains get their things ready and casually walk down the hallway, away from us. But not before Toga gives me a wink and takes her phone from her pocket. Overhaul places a hand on my back and guides me through the hallways.

Soon loud noises fill the air, but we remain silent while Overhaul and Shin are talking things through.

'Eri, no matter what happens, I need you to listen to me, okay?'

She nods her small head and she hugs me tightly.

'There is a big hero coming to save you. He is my friend and you can trust him but I need you to stay with me and to listen to me, no matter what anyone says. That includes Overhaul. Can you promise me that?'

'Yes, I promise you.'

I stroke her hair softly and we turn another corner. We pass some of the bullets as they run the other way to fight the heroes.

"Miki, are you okay? Let Shin carry her for a while."

"No, I'm good. I'm going to keep her save myself."

I might say this, but I am slightly out of breath from walking at their pace with my short legs. They slow down a bit and I look at them weirdly.

"Why are we slowing down?"

"We're far away from the fight and you can't keep up this pace..."

I can't suppress a soft laugh and lock eyes with him.

"Even now you are showing that you care for me. Dummy."

"Is that a bad thing, then?"

"I didn't say that. Any girl would be honored to get this type of affection."

He chuckles behind his mask and pulls me through yet another corridor. Come on Mirio, where are you?

We pass a T-junction and freeze when we hear a sound coming from the dark corridor we just passed. It takes everything in me to suppress a smile from forming when Mirio stands in front of us.

"Seems like I found you... Eri."

'Eri, I need you to cling to me like I'm your lifeline...'

The small girl tightens her hold on me while I'm waiting for what he will say to me.

"Puppeteer, hand her over."

I know enough and give him a wicked smirk.

"Hand her over? No can do."

Overhaul stands between me and the hero, hiding me behind his broad back. I look around for any shadows I can use to quickly get out of here with Eri but none are big enough. Damnit.

"Miki, let's go. The others can deal with him."

I start walking away and the two males soon join me. The sounds of a fight can he heard from behind us but I don't look back. I'm sorry for being so little help Mirio.

Only 5 minutes passed but Mirio appeared in front of us once more. He looked a little shaken and unstable but beside all that he seemed okay.

'Eri, I need you to hurt me and then when I drop you, I want you to run to that hero. Think you can do that?'