27. Spectre.

A week passed since I found Dabi crying. I've spent every day after school with him since then. He never asked me about my plans, which I am thankful for.

Once more I lean against the boy as he looks at his phone, texting away.

"Who you talking to?"

"Hawks."

"Are you going to give him his next assignment?"

"Yeah, tonight."

"Mind if I tag along?"

"Why do you want to get involved?"

"That's a question you'll find the answer to if you let me tag along."

"In that case... sure. I trust you, after all."

I smile at him and snuggle my head against his shoulder.

"Hey Touya... You're not going to make him do something stupid, right?"

"I don't think you'll like my answer to that question..."

"I see. Then mind of I think of a replacement? Something that will be even more difficult for him to do?"

"You already know what I'm going to make him do, huh?"

"Yep."

"Fine. Think of something else for him to do."

"You won't regret this!"

I peck his cheek before skipping my way into a shadow.

"See you tonight!"

At the other side of the shadow I find Hitoshi waiting for me.

"Ready to work out?"

"As ready as I'll ever be!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's night and I'm watching the two males talk from the shadows.

"I want you to kill someone."

"Kill? Why and who?"

"Best Jeanist. If the number 3 suddenly disappears then that will be beneficial to us."

"..."

"Hold up, boys."

I step out of the shadow and lean against Dabi's side. I'm not having a professional attitude, but I won't need it right now.

"Miki... have you thought of a better assignment for him?"

"Yes. Hawks, make me a fully licensed hero."

"Excuse me? Aren't you just a student?"

"I entered U.A. a week before the provisional license exam. I passed was flying colors. Try me, Birdy. Besides I know that you had shortcuts. I want in on them."

"Listen... I didn't want to be a hero. I was made a hero."

"And right now, you are going to need me as your partner. Make it work."

"You heard the lady." Dabi wraps an arm around me and I drop my head on his shoulder.

"Alright... I'll see what strings I can pull."

"Yay! Let's go Dabi. I want to eat Soba for dinner!"

I drag the scarred boy into the shadows, leaving Hawks behind.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do you want to become a fully licensed hero?"

I stare at the text I received from Hawks before deciding that I should talk to him personally. I text him back that I'll be over in a minute and quickly get dressed in my hero outfit. Once everything is in its place I step into my shadows, surprising the hero when I'm suddenly behind him.