Violin Concerto 1st movement

"But how can I ask him out for a date?" Eddy whines into the phone. "We're literally like brothers! Nobody can imagine us as a couple!"

Well yeah. Nobody besides my whole crew.

"And what if I ask him and he doesn't want to?" I can hear distress in his voice.

"Why shouldn't he? You don't need to take him flower-picking, riding a white horse." I chuckle.

"Dude, that's so much of a help. Thank you." Oh he's really stressed out.

"No no no no no Eddy don't hang up. Come on, I'll be serious, so don't hang up, 'kay? So. How about this. Next month I'll be around to play some concerts. So if you want, I can send you tickets and you could ask Brett out? I'd like to see you both, too, so maybe you can come watch and afterwards we could go get a drink together?"

Eddy huffs playfullu: "So we do have to sit there, watching YOU on our first date??"

"Oh you don't need to. You can also stay at home and fuck yourselves senseless."

I hear a sudden CRACK and a muffled "RAY!!! Shit, Ray!", some shuffling, "no I'm fine, Brett, nah...alright", rustling and finally Eddy's voice back again "Dude I dropped my phone and whatthefuckareyouthinkinghowcanyousaysomethinglikethat"

"Yeah, you're welcome, Eddy my sweetheart. So is the 12th okay with you? That's a friday and I have the weekend off so we could hang out a bit, if you'd like. And if you are not occupied with anything else?" wink wink

Eddy tries to calm down, concentrating on breathing. "Okay. Yeah the 12th will be fine for us, I think."

I smile "'kay, I'm really looking forward to see you guys! And tell me if there's any progression!" and hang up.

I lean back, typing a quick message to Jean and ask him to send two VIP tickets to my boys, in a loge where I can see them while playing. And of course with a meet-and-greet because they love me so much. And I love them!

After sending out the message, I look into my calling history. Last call ended 1 minute ago.

5...4...3...2...1...

I pick up the moment my phone starts to vibrate.

"Hey Brett, what's up?" 

"Ray what did you say to Eddy?" He whispers, like someone could be in the same room, listening.

Oh did I say I love these two? I really really love them. "Why d'you ask? Is everything alright?"

I literally can see him roll his eyes. "After you called Eddy, he ran into his room, slamming the door and now I can hear toss and turn on his bed. Like he's struggling with something. So what did you say? You know I can't stand see him struggle, don't you?"

"Oh my oh my, Brett calm down. I just did a little joke and he's having a hard time, you know? Just let him roll a bit there and than you can join him. Hey, how about meeting next month when I'm in town?"

~ at home, two weeks later ~

"No Eddy it's just a concert. Yes, it's a date but you're not taking him to a ball. No tuxedo. No suit. No, just no. How about your practice period shirt with the gray blazer? That should be alright. Yes. Yes. Sneakers are good. Yes. No the viola shirt is fine, too. God Eddy I'm not your mom! Noooo just casual is fine! Uhm... and... did you ask Brett out yet? Maybe that's the first step, no?"

~ in bed, one week later ~

Wow. Took his sweet little time.

"Brett, little one, you don't have to shout. Yes, I can hear you. Yes. Do you know, what time it is over here? Okay nevermind. So tell me. Did your crush ask you out? Oh. Yeah. Yeah, I see. Yeah I know where he's taking you. No you don't need your dress coat. No, no suit. Yes, the viola shirt is totally fine. Oh yes, the cardigan is also good. Of course he'll say you look good."

~ backstage, the day before the concert ~

I'm pacing up and down through my dressing room in the opera house. The rehearsal will be startin soon and I still got no message of the two lovebirds. It started when Eddy told me about his crush for Brett. And like the soulmates they are, shortly after that Brett called me to ask for support because he was madly in love with Eddy. And now, almost 8 months later, they finally got to go on a date. Thanks to their lovely cupid and captain of the Breddy ship, me.

I'm so proud - just hoping they don't mess it up.

So tomorrows the big day and I am so nervous, it could be me going on a date.

Eddy told me he would take Brett out for dinner before so we could go get a drink together. On one hand a waste of the 'date' but on the other it's nice for me to have time with them. And I'm just too curious about the development.

~ backstage, 5 minutes before the concert ~

Okay keep calm. It's a concert. And I've played Sibelius so many times and I live it. I can do it. I'm not agitated that the loge is still empty. I'm not unsettled by the fact I've got still no message. Neither oh them has texted me. I only can hope the best for them.

Shit, there goes the bell. I have to get to stand-by. I hope they are here by now.

~ stage left, shortly before the concert ~

Oh. They're here. Wait, are they holding hands? Brett's cheeks are blushed and they are giggling like two teenage girls. So cute!

And hey! They're in matching viola shirts. Nice. And a bit cheesy. I hope they don't mean my little violin here...

The conductor gives me a reassuring smile, did I look that stressed? and motions forward to move up the stage so I inhale, smile and walk out.

Starting the concert I get into the zone. The beginning of Sibelius ist one of my most beloved melodies. This whole concert is one of my absolute favourites. And this violin is doing me a real favour. My fingers dance over the fingerboard and the vibration of the instrument goes through my whole body. 

When the orchestra has the melody, I look up to see the two lovebirds whisper on their private loge and the way they smile the whole time my heart warms up. And there I nearly miss my cue.

Oopsie.

The second movement starts and I go full power into the melody. Slow melodies are often more difficult than fast passages, but the audience hardly know that. So when I look up to my bois up there I see Brett laying his head onto Eddys shoulder, eyes closed and Eddy smiling down to me. I love how they appreciate my music. Or my matchmaking? 

In the middle of the third movement I can barely tell whose arm is where, they're cuddling so hard over there, I can't concentrate... But my fingers remember this most wonderful concerto by themselves so.... as long as I am on track I can watch them cuddle up there. Nice!

~ still on stage, after the concert ~

I see them still on the loge when the applause fades away and I'm dying inside out of curiosity. They left their hands to be able to clap but now they are standing there, hugging each other and looking down onto stage.

I hurry back to my dressing room and first thing I do, getting my phone out and texting Eddy "sorry, journalists here, I need to stay a bit. go home and love your man, bro. We'll see us tomorrow?"

So, giving them more special time. What to do now? Maybe call my family and going back to the hotel. I'm dead tired after playing this concerto and simultaneously watching them flirt.

~ still in bed, next morning ~

A very - very - late answer came from Eddy. Late, like many hours later. 

Eddy (04:52) : Done. What time today?

Done? DONE? D.O.N.E?!?

That was meant to be a joke, dude. Eddy surprises me sometimes. Most of the time he is like the shy anxious guy hiding behind Brett and there are moments his bold personality bursts out and he goes wild. Maybe he did last night, too.

I quickly type a reply and get out of the bed. I need to meet them and hear all about yesterdays date!