Viola Queen

Take this!

I step out of the shower, humming some Debussy and dry my newly cut hair. It's a blessing, the short hair dries up quickly within minutes.

Leaving the bathroom I can hear Brett practice in his room.

Huh? In his room? Why not in our studio, as usual?

I tiptoe up to his door. Which piece is that? I don't think I recognize it... And what's with his sound? It's not as bright as usual.

And then it's there. The c. The clear c string.

I know, I did buy the viola for him but I didn't know he does practice playing it! 

Huh? I wonder, he's practicing almost 40hours a day. When does he find the time for practicing the viola?

I take my phone out to preserve this evidence, but before I push the record button, I hesitate.

I listen to Brett, practicing this piece from the beginning to end, back and forth, I can imagine him struggle with the longer fingerboard and heavier instrument. And this picture in my head is really cute.

So I sit down in front of his room and listen. Just listen to Brett, playing his Viola.

I mustn't let our fans know about this. Never ever will I tell them I enjoy listening to a viola.

I stay here and listen a bit longer. I like the sound Brett is making on this instrument. I didn't buy him a really expensive viola, nevertheless it's sound is very warm and comfy. I don't really know whether it's the instrument or Brett. But I kind of like it. I close my eyes and sink in, deeper in this warm and lovely melody.

Not to get caught, I stand up a few moments later and leave silently. I sneak up into the kitchen and boil some water for tea. I think Brett hears me clatter in the kitchen, so he stops practicing and follows me shortly. Standing in the door he watches me hum and prepare some snacks and pour the tea.

When I put the cups on the coffee table, he finally opens his mouth.

"So, you were listening, huh?" he asks shyly.

I nearly drop my cookie. 

"What?" I clear my throat "What are you talking about?"

He smiles and leans back on the couch. "You were humming the Reger suite for quite a while now. And actually the passage which I was practicing until now."

My cheeks burn up an I feel my whole body redden and I stammer "uh I didn't intend to eavesdrop, you know? But, hey it wasn't so bad, well, actually... uhm"

Brett scoots closer to me, looking me dead in the eye. "You liked it?"

His grin makes me blush even more.

"uhm, actually.. uhm... yea it was... quite nice, I think?"

"You ... you actually LIKED my VIOLAAAA?" he stretches the v-word unnecessarily long, coming even closer.

His face is right in front of mine, my heart is jumping out of my chest. His nose almost touching mine, I can't see the frame of his glasses anymore. I smell his tea-scented breath. But this moment lasts for just a moment.

I swallow and he seems to notice my stare, so he backs up, leans onto the armrest and winks. "So I'm your Viola Queen?" 

"Why Queen, you don't look loke a woman at all?" Maybe wearing my pink sacrilegious hoodie and looking tiny cute. But that's cute. Like a tiny koala. Not a woman. My cute tiny koala.

He takes another sip of his tea, smiling. "Because you are my Viola King."