Dance

"Come on, it will be so much fun!"

. . .

NO. Do you know these guys, who are tall, skinny, white and look like leek? Who stand out in the group with every move, because they look like leek swaying in the wind, with every move they do?

I am one of these guys. Except for my not tall, not skinny, not white body. My moves look like leek in the wind between all the girls in this room. And Eddy. Who's surprisingly good in doing the same moves as the K-POP stars in their videos.

It will be so much fun, he said.

We'll be in this together, he said.

Look at us now. I'm sitting on the side, sweating and panting like an idiot, holding onto my waterbottle like there's no tomorrow. And Eddy?

He's surrounded by all the cute girls, laughing and goofing around. When did he get this sporty and fit and where did he learn to dance so good?

Okay maybe I was too distracted by his body, moving to the beat and looking drop-dead hot.

But I tried. And Eddy said this will be fun. How the heck did he find this course in the study plan? Where did this uni have the capacity for K-pop dance courses and how did he persuade me to get here??

The ache in my chest doesn't lift even after the break. Eddy's back at my side again but the leek I am, I feel dumb for being dragged here. And he's obviously flirting with the girl on his other side. She's a great dancer and the moves look simple and gorgeous when she does them.

So I slump down at the side and watch them dance. And flirt. And the pain in my heart just grows. It sucks. Why am I here?

Eddy wouldn't mind if I just go outside, right? He'll be fine with that girl. Jesse? Jane? Whatever.

The moment I step out, the fresh breeze helps me cool down a bit. Outside, the music doesn't boom into my head and I feel how stiff my shoulders have been until now.

Maybe Eddy wouldn't notice if I just go back home? This is ridiculous. I think he doesn't care. So I sneak in, avoiding Eddy's sight to pick up my things and sneak out again.

Walking home I feel sad.

Taking a shower I feel numb.

Rolling onto my couch I feel empty.

And then I sit up again. Woah. I didn't notice how hard I was falling for this guy. Yeah I kinda knew that I had a little crush but this feels way bigger than just a crush. And then I fall back onto the couch, starting at my ceiling. Tears prickle behind my eyes and I don't even try to blink them away.

So the same moment I realize that there could be more than a crush, I realize that there's no way he'll like me back, surrounded by these cute girls and having fun dancing and flirting. He didn't even notice me going home.

It will be so much fun, he said.

We'll be in this together, he said.

I close my eyes and let the tears roll.