03

Izuku Midoriya: Origin

Izuku runs. He runs, far, far away from his stupid society that reveres their stupid heroes with their stupid quirks who don't do anything for this rotten world.

None of it matters now.

"Izuku Midorya, please report to the principles office asap." His principal's nasally voice is amplified by the school speakers. They whine halfway through the announcement, making the other students wince, pressing palms into their ears.

A short, inky green haired boy stands up from the cheap lunch table he sits at alone. Ignoring the word "nerd" carved onto the green plastic, he begins to pack the Katsudon that his mom made him. He worries about it getting cold, but decides what's the point, it's cold anyway.

"Ooh, Deku's in trouble," Katsuki sneers, and his goons wheeze behind him like its the funniest thing they've ever heard.

Izuku ignores them, he always does, hands shaking as he finally fits the lid on the container. Letting out an unsteady breath, he hurries out of the cafeteria as fast as he can. He's not fast enough though, Katsuki makes sure he's still in ear shot as he delivers the final blow. "Maybe it's the doctors sayin' he's going to be quirkless forever. Not that I didn't call it first."

"Wow Katsuki, you're smarter than a doctor?"

"Yup. Comes with being this fuckin' great," the explosive boy flexes, tiny explosions popping in the center of his tiny, fleshy hands. A threat.

Izuku acts like he doesn't hear him and speed walks down the hall. His right shoe keeps squeaking though, so he rests more weight on his left but it's not enough and the doorknob for room 301 jiggles. He runs the rest of the way.

When Izuku arrives at the principal's office, he knocks softly. He hears a fumble, a "shit," a crash, and a "Come In!"

Ripping the bandaid off slowly, he enters the lions den. His principal is sitting at his desk, trying to look as professional as possible with a crooked wig. He smiles, and it's a match.

"W-What did I do, Mr. Suzuki?" Izuku sits down across from Mr. Suzuki nervously, who pushes his stereotypical spectacles up the bridge of his nose with a witchy finger. If this is about the bullying again, then he-

"Nothing, Mr. Midorya. I'm here to inform you that," Messing with his tie, he clears his throat, uncomfortable written all over his face in black ink, "Your mother has unfortunately passed in an accident, earlier today."

Oh.

Izuku feels dizzy, and looks down as his his world turns on it's axis and crumbles, collapses even, into dust in his hands. Light becomes darkness. Sadness becomes anger. Small, but tumultuous green flames lap at the edges of his heart.

How does someone mourn publicly? Does he cry? Throw a fit? Say thank you and leave?

What is he supposed to do now? Live on his own? By himself? Where would he get money?

Your mother is dead.

Your mother is dead.

Your mother is-

"How'd it happen?" Izuku speaks before he thinks.

Mr. Suzuki debates telling him the full story, but knows he'll find it on the news anyway, "In a fire, at her job. The heroes got there as fast as they could, but unfortunately..."

"She was already dead." Izuku finishes lifelessly. His lungs inhale black smoke instead of oxygen, he swallows to keep the emotions at bay. His hands clench around the dark wooden bars of the uncomfortable office chair.