06

Red and Green Make an Ugly Color

Knock knock knock!

Warm sunlight pours through the open window like a river, painting the usual bland walls a deep yellow. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, Izuku stretched his limbs out in front of him like a cat. "Oh lordy," he yawns, wincing when his heavy eyelids start to lift. It's too bright, and definitely too early.

Isn't it Saturday?

Knock, knock, knock!

The door to his room rattles again, and Izuku groans, making the executive decision to...not get up. Nestling back into a comfortable position, his curly green bangs flop in front of his eyes.

Knock, knock, knock!

Geez. The greenette pouts, stretching like a cat. His joints crackle as he moves, and he flinches from the pain in his lower back every time he turns to the right. Damn.

Knock knock knock!

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming, just wait." He grumbles, and focuses all his morning energy into his arms to shove himself out of bed.

Izuku gives himself a quick look in the mirror before answering the door (not that he cares how he looks, like at all. He just likes to know what he's working with.) The inky green birds nest on Izuku's head rivals even the greatest of mad scientists, shining a deep turquoise in the morning light. His oversized white shirt and baggy sweats hang off his body like dead weight, so Izuku bunches them up in his palms and adjusts them until majority of his skin is covered. Good enough.

So of course, this mess of a human being just has to open the door to a very, very energetic red head.

"Good morning! Are you..." Neon red eyes scan the index card gripped tightly between his fingers, "Izuku Midoriya?" Izuku nods, still not fully coherent. This kid is definitely a morning person, and the combination of bright hallway lights and the red head's animated voice are starting to give him a headache, "Perfect! I'm your guide, Eijirou Kirishima!"

...Guide? Izuku's eyebrows furrow. But then he remembers.

Escape plan. Kacchan. Fail.

Dick.

The red head bows politely, "And I'm supposed to watch you to make sure you don't plan to kill us...I guess? Anyway, I-"

Izuku lifts a calm hand up to the firetruck red's lips, "You're really loud."

Kirishima's cheeks flush at the embarrassment, bowing deeper this time, like he has some sin to repent. Izuku just blinks down at him, was Kirishima told to do that? He stands back up, "I wanted to ask if you're hungry? I'm about to run to the cafeteria for breakfast!"

The greenette hums, getting a feel for his bodily needs for the first time that day. Thinking of food makes his mouth water, "Sure," he shrugs. It's nonchalant, but it's a yes.

Kirishima claps excitedly, "Great!"

Grabbing his red shoes from the floor by the door, Izuku tosses on a random black sweatshirt, and the two are off.

"So..." Kirishima starts, "How do you like your time at UA so far? I know it's only been a week but..."

Izuku shoves his hands in his pockets, clicking his tongue. The red head hasn't done anything to anger him yet, so the Izuku guesses he can entertain him for the time being, "It's fine I guess." he shrugs, "Could be better. Could be killing people."

(It's a joke. Kind of.)

Kirishima lets out a genuine laugh, not one out of fear, or worry, or anger, "If we went around killing people all day, that wouldn't make us very good heroes, now would it?" Us? Yeah, no. But for the sake of conversation, Izuku ping pongs his head back and forth, as if he were debating the pros and cons.