16

Frankenstein's Monster

"You're an idiot." Shouto deadpans from his hospital bed across the room. He woke up before the greenette did, maybe thirty minutes before, but it's given him plenty of time to ruminate.

Midoriya shrugs, lower body tucked into a bed of his own, "Maybe." His right arm is in a cast, though the doctor said it's pretty much healed. He said the duo got lucky, that none of the hospitals best healers were preoccupied with other things so they got number one priority.

"...But thank you. For helping." The duel-toned teen says. Midoriya nods, but says nothing.

Shouto eyes him with a faint curiosity, "You don't talk much, do you?" Midoriya shakes his head.

"No."

"That's alright," blue and grey eyes shift at towards the door, and back towards his partner, "I don't, either."

The greenette hums.

The door to their room slams open, hitting the wall with a bang definitely too loud for a hospital. Endeavor struts in, shoulders and facial hair ablaze, "Shouto, my boy! Have you finally accepted your purpose? This is the dawn of a new era for us!"

Shouto blinks at the door, "...Father."

"With my blood in your veins, you'll surpass me. You will live up to the reason I created you!" He tries to tackle Shouto in a hug, but his son ducks out of the way. Endeavor's smile doesn't falter.

There's a knock on the door frame, it's a nurse, "Um, excuse me, Mr. Endeavor? If you wouldn't mind keeping it down, that'd be lovely. The whole hallway can hear your...cheers of joy." She gives the pro hero a judgmental look, who flushes red with embarrassment.

Endeavor clears his throat, "Yes, of course." Giving him a tight smile, she slams the door shut so hard it rattles the frame.

The number one hero looks back at his boy, "What's the matter? You're not going to tell me to get lost? You need to learn how to control your left side, it's dangerous to release so much energy like that...but I'm glad that you're finally seeing reason. Now that you've abandoned your childish rebellion, we can get back to what's important." He holds his hand out as an offering, "After you graduate, you'll work by my side. I'll lead you down the path of the mighty, Shouto."

Exhausted, Shouto looks down at the white sheets. They're so white, they hurt his eyes, "I haven't abandoned anything. You're a fool to think my feelings could be so easily reversed." He lifts his left arm. It feels strange, but he can't tell if it's because of the quirk, or if it's just a placebo. He hasn't used his fire in a very, very long time.

"Instead, out there, for a moment..." Shouto closes his fist, "I forgot all about you."

Endeavor's icy blue eyes widen in shock, fists clenching at his sides. Shouto continues, "Whether it's good or bad, whether it's the right thing to do, I don't know. Maybe I don't need you."

Huffing and angry, Endeavor storms out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. Shouto flinches at the loud noise. The nurse will come back to yell at them, no doubt.

"You shouldn't treat your father that way."

Shouto raises an eyebrow in the greenette's direction, "You don't know my life."

"No, I don't." Midoriya's hair covers his eyes in a shadow, fists clenching in the sheets. He sounds...strained, "But I know that he's your father, and that you shouldn't talk to him that way." Shouto rolls his eyes. Who is he to tell him what he can and can't do?

"Like I said, you don't know my life," Shouto's teeth grit at the headache starting to form behind his eyes, "So stay out of it." He knows he's probably getting too defensive too quickly, but he's tired.