Chapter 24: Sleeping beauty!

"Aadya beta why don't you go and sleep. It's already very late. You have been working continuously from the evening." said her dad, Pankaj.

"No papa. There is a lot more work to do and I want my presentation to be the best. Don't worry about me, you please go and sleep. I will wrap my work in an hour."

"Ok Aadya. As your wish, but don't overstress yourself. Good night" said Pankaj patting her head.

"Sure papa. Good night"

After 2 days

"Dr. Aadya, Arjun sir asked one of the final year postgraduates to report in the OT to assist him in the surgery. The other two are busy with a case, so could you please join him in the surgery."

"Sure sister. I will scrub up and join him."

Aadya followed the usual sterilization protocol and joined Arjun in the OT. After 4 hours of constant struggle, they could finally be able to save the patient.

"Suture up the rest Dr.Aadya and shift him to the ward. I will have to discuss the patient's condition with the family" said Arjun removing the gloves and walked out of the OT.

Finishing up the suturing and shifting the patient to the ward, Aadya walked back to the department.

Meanwhile, Arjun explained to the patient's family who was waiting outside the OT that the patient was out of danger and the surgery was successful. He then went to his cabin to look into few reports.

"May I come in sir?" asked Aadya knocking on the door.

"Come Dr. Aadya. Have you shifted the patient to the ward?" enquired Arjun.

"Yes sir. Everything is done."

"Okay," he replied and got back to his work.

Noticing Aadya still standing near the door, he looked up from the reports and asked. "Is there any work with me Dr.Aadya?"

"Sir, I have few doubts regarding the case I want to present in the poster presentation contest."

"Dr.Aadya. You have been in the surgery standing for long hours. Why don't you take a small break and then resume with your work?"

"I have to submit the presentation by evening sir. Today is the last date" explained Aadya.

"Ohh right, I forgot! Tell me how could I help you?" he asked.

"Sir, could you please look into the presentation I have made and let me know your inputs on it," said Aadya taking out her laptop and pointing it towards Arjun.

"Sure," said Arjun and was keenly going through the poster presentation of her case. He suggested few minute changes in the case and have asked to change few fonts style and the font color to make it appear attractive.

"Okay, Sir. Thank you so much. I will do the required changes as you said and submit it."

Arjun gave a curt nod and passed back her laptop. Aadya thanked him again and left the cabin. Later, he got busy checking the reports.

Arjun went to the ward for his usual rounds after lunch. On his way back to the cabin after the rounds, he noticed Aadya sleeping in the seminar hall on the table with her laptop still on.

One thing that always amuses him about himself is that he doesn't ever have the heart to wake her up. There is some pleasant feeling he gets seeing her sleep peacefully.

He understood that she might be very tired from all the work. He slowly walked towards Aadya and checked the time. There was still an hour left for the submission. Arjun slowly took the laptop without disturbing her and sat in the adjacent chair to complete the remaining changes.

Once he is done, he put the laptop on the table and went back to his cabin asking the nurse outside to wake her up after 15mins.

"Dr. Aadya" called the nurse patting her shoulders to wake her up.

Aadya slowly opens her eyes only to notice the sister waking her. She immediately jerks up and got tensed looking at the time.

Aadya then opens her laptop and finds her work done.

"Sister did anyone come here?" she inquired.

"I don't know Dr.Aadya. All I know is Dr. Arjun has asked me to wake you." the nurse replied.

"Ohh okay, sister. Thank you."

"He already doesn't have a good impression on me and now he might be thinking that I am very irresponsible." Aadya shook her head in dismay.

She checked the presentation once again and mailed it to the concerned authority. Once she submitted, she walked toward Arjun's cabin to thank him.

"Excuse me, sir"

"Yes, Dr. Aadya. Come in"

"I am sorry sir. I dint knew how I passed into sleep. That's very irresponsible of me. I will not repeat this." she apologized.

"Better you don't," he said trying to act strictly.

"Yes sir."

"Sir, the presentation.....???" she asked skeptically curious to know who completed the corrections.

Arjun understood what she wanted to know.

"Uh I have asked one of the interns to complete those small changes," he said in an authoritative tone so that she doesn't misunderstand him.

"Ohh"

"Thank you, sir, and sorry this won't repeat," she said to which he just nodded.

Aadya took her leave and got out of the cabin.

"This Hitler doesn't seem to be that bad!" she whispered to herself smiling.