Chapter 16 An Unblinking Death

I was sitting on the back porch of one of the houses with some tea in my hand. I was watching the water again while thinking of a few more baby names. April is a good name. There is also Ellie or Andera. My eyes tilted to the side as I felt a presence behind me. "Lovely morning to be watching the water." I heard Elijah said. "Where are your companions?"

"Out being wolves." I sighed as I rested my hand on my legs while taking a sip of my tea. "Usually, in the mornings, I sit here and relax before I have to go off and save people. It's peaceful like this."

"It is. I remember a time when you did this during your first pregnancy." He said as he stepped closer. "Water watching. However, back then, it was just a small river."

"I would hardly call that river small." I chuckled. "But witches are connected to nature. It's only natural that I want to be next to it. Even if Klaus is forcing me away."

"You left on your own, Dawn." He reminded. I sighed and turned my head to face him.

"What do you want, Elijah?" I asked. "And I know it's not to check up on me. Your mind has been on Hayley since the day you met here."

"Yes, I do care for her. But please remember, you are a part of my family. since the day we met all those years ago." He said as he knelt next to me. "I care about you and the life of your child. You both are family," he said. I stared at him, waiting for him to tell me why he is here. "But I brought you something. Do you think you could hold onto it for a while?" he pulled out a book. I took it and looked over the lettering.

"This is Esther's spellbook. Why are you giving this to me?" I ran my hand over the cover.

"I fear that my brother is planning something bad with the wolves." He sighed as he stood up. "He wants to create moonlight rings. But it will only serve as a pawn for him to use against them. I don't want more war than there already is."

"Moonlight rings? From this book?" I scoffed. "Now, I know he is out of his mind. Okay, I will hold it for now." I said as I pulled the book closer to my body.

"Thank you. I will leave it to you," he said as he left me alone for the rest of my morning.

******************************************

 I was sitting on a log watching Erik help to lift logs

 I was sitting on a log watching Erik help to lift logs. I smiled when he looked over at me. I felt a tug on my dress, and I looked down at the boy sitting in my lap while his father helped with moving the wood. He pointed up at the sky at the clouds asking me to look with him. I listened to the boy talks about the shapes and the shadows with a smile. I pointed up with him when I heard the sound of a motorcycle making its way towards us. I looked over at the man as he rode closer. I held the child as I stood up from my spot to see what was happening. I heard the motor revved up a few times like he was waiting for something. I glanced over to see Jackson, Oliver, Hayley, and Elijah come running out of the barn to get a look. I let the boy down to go to his father as Erik came to stand next to me. The motorcyclist was closer to Jackson but still in the middle of everything as people looked over. "Which one of you is in charge?" the man asked as he looked around.