Chapter 52 Behind the Black Horizon

"Hope's down for the count," I explained as I stepped into the Mad Crow Diner with Hayley

"Hope's down for the count," I explained as I stepped into the Mad Crow Diner with Hayley. "She fell asleep as soon as Mary started the car. I don't think she will miss us for the next few days." I grabbed Klaus's glass that he set down on the counter next to him.

"So which of these Kingmaker offices should we hit up first?" Hayley asked as she glanced down at the list of addresses in her hand. "There's ten of them." I watched as she turned her head to look at Klaus, who was worried. "What?"

"Lucien has revealed his true nature." I rolled my eyes at the obvious statement. "He's taken, Freya. Now it seems her rescue depends on Elijah working with my ever-reliable brother Finn."

"Oh," I said as I took the paper from Hayley and glanced over it. "Well, if you need to go back, you're free to go. Hayley and I can handle this."

"It's adorable that you think I will let you go anywhere without me, love." His head tilted towards me. "The wolves, Freya's abduction, can't all be a coincidence. We'll let my brothers pursue the obvious path. The three of us will pursue this one." He pointed toward the paper in my hand with a smile. "No doubt all roads lead to the same treacherous bastard."

//////////////////

I pushed open the car door and climbed out. I stepped around the vehicle and stood next to Klaus as we waited for Hayley. Unlike the others we went to today, I could feel something off about this building. But I could also feel a slight wave of magic energy coming out of the front door. "Does he just build these from a kit or something? That's the exact same for the last five offices." Hayley said as she came to stand next to me. "Same windows, same plants...."

"And inside, same generic abstract art, same compellable receptionist," Klaus said as he laced his hand with mine.

"But are you sure you wouldn't be better off with your brothers?" Hayley asked as he pulled my hand up to his lips. "I can do the leg work."

"And split up the team now?" Klaus asked as he looked at her. "Just when I'm discovering your carpool karaoke skills? I think not." He glanced toward me as I tried to figure out where the magic was coming from. "No, Lucien is playing a game here. Each unassuming little office building we search, the more sure I am of it. We keep going. Together. Even if we have to search a hundred of these poxy places." He and Hayley were about to step closer, but I stopped them. "Something wrong, love?"

"There's something different about this building," I said as I leaned down and picked up a rock off the ground. I tossed the stone up in the air a few times before bringing it closer to my mouth. I slightly blew on the rock as energy wrapped around it. I pulled my arm back and threw the stone towards the building. We stood there as the rock hit the invisible barrier and made the scene shake slightly. "I don't think I have even seen such a weak barrier. Even children can draw up a better one than this." I said as I stepped closer to the barrier. I paid it no heed as I stepped past it, shattering it completely. "I think we are at the right place."