Chapter 17 A closer walk with thee

I pulled on my sweater as I felt a chill run down my spine

I pulled on my sweater as I felt a chill run down my spine. I sighed as I wrapped myself tighter. I stood up from the bed as the front door opened. I grabbed my hat and placed it on my head as I suddenly felt dizzy. "Hey, you okay?" Hayley asked me as she stepped closer.

"Yeah, just a bit off." I coughed out. "I'm fine."

"You know you could always stay behind. I'm sure Cami would understand." She said as she checked me over.

"I'm fine. I will take it easy for today." I reassured her with a smile. She didn't look convinced as she watched me.

"Come on, we'll be late," I said as we stepped out the door. 

**************************

Walking down the street with mourning people was not really fun. But mourning the death of the priest is still hard to believe that all these people knew him. It was more of an excuse to drink and party for a lot of people. I rolled my eyes at the people on the sidewalks showing fake respect for the dead. It went double for the fake martyrs in the crowd following the casket. I coughed again, feeling worse than I did before getting here. I wrapped my body with one hand and rested my other on my chest. I felt something rest on my shoulder. I looked over to see Hayley as she looked concerned. I placed my hand over hers with a small smile telling her I'm fine, even if I didn't mean it. I coughed again but turned away from her so she wouldn't be more worried.

"You alright, love?" Klaus asked me as he stepped closer. "You look..."

"A hundred years pregnant and pissed off?" I interrupted him.

"I was going to say tired but still beautiful." He said as he looked me over. I rolled my eyes at the statement.

"Do you think I was the target of those bombings?" Hayley asked while we kept walking.

"Of course, you were the target. Were I to wage war on the wolves, you'd be my first kill." Klaus answered. "I would string you up for all your worshipers to see." I hit him on the shoulder as he gestured towards the street lamps.

"I believe that was my brother's way of telling you he'd like you both to return home with us," Elijah explained that Klaus was saying.

"Yeah, because that was so clear," I said as Hayley smiled.

"Perhaps try a different approach. Niklaus, with fewer references to murder." He suggested.

"As much as I would hate to throw you over my shoulder and drag you kicking and screaming to the compound, we both know I will for the sake of my child," Klaus explained.

"It's so cute how you think that she is just your child," I said as I turned to him. "After what you did, I don't really think that you even want her anymore."

"Believe me, my love, I want her just as much as I want you," he said as he slung his arm around my shoulders. "Perhaps I want one more than the other. But I want you both nonetheless."