Chapter 27 The map of moments

I was sitting in the passenger seat, drumming my hands on my knees as my legs sat on the dashboard. I could feel my heart thumping in my ears as we drove down a dirt road. I looked out the window and watched as the countryside blurred. Klaus was going pretty fast but not fast enough for me. I hadn't seen her in months, and this one car ride felt like an eternity. Hayley was in the back explaining about her new fiance, Jackson. But I only gave her a soft hum as my mind went back to my daughter. I stopped drumming my hands and stared down at my ring. I rolled my thumb over the stone as the metal started to heat up. I smiled when I knew we were getting closer.

I felt the car turn into the grass, and I looked up to see a beautiful little house. Elijah and Bex stood in the front yard. I saw my precious daughter in Elijah's arms only for a second before I pushed open the door while that car was still moving. When my feet hit the ground, I instantly ran closer to the house, thinking that this would end up being a dream and vanish. I stopped when I was only a few steps away. My eyes were locked on her as her coos flooded my eardrums. I stepped closer as I have done many times in my dreams, wanting to hold her just one last time. I reached my arms out as Elijah held her out. I wrapped my arms around her small delicate body and pulled her to me. Her eyes met mine as she let out a little coo with a bright smile. Her eyes fluttered as her hand reached up and rested on my cheek. Tears came to my eyes as it seemed that she recognized who I was to her.

My smile grew as I pulled her closer and rested my head on her shoulder momentarily. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't going away. That this wasn't a dream. As the thought ran through my mind, I felt a strong aura wave off her. My darkened magic met with her lighter magic, and they melted together like how it was when I was pregnant. I exhaled a deep breath as I turned to face Klaus. He was right behind me as I pulled her down to lay gently against me. I glanced up to see Klaus step closer to us. His eyes were trained on her as well as me. My smile widened as I felt him place his arms around my waist and place his lips on my hair. The family was together again, and there was no way I was letting go.

*****************************

 I listened to Hope's breathing as she fell asleep in my arms. I smiled down at her as I heard someone step into the small nursery. I swayed from side to side, humming an old song that my mother used to sing to me. "You do know you will have to let her go sometime today?" I heard Klaus ask me. I glanced over my shoulder as I lowered her into the cradle.

"Leave me alone, Nik. I haven't seen her in months." I said as I leaned on the railing staring down at her. "I want to memorize everything I can before this becomes another dream turning into a nightmare."

"This isn't a nightmare." He said as he stepped closer. "This is real, and she is here." He rested his hand on my shoulder for a moment. "She's not going anywhere but into a peaceful sleep." I turned my head to look at him with a small smile. "Plus, if anything happens, we will hear it. Come on, love. Let her sleep." He gently pulled me away from the crib and pushed me out of the room. My ears were correctly trained on her soft breathing as I was forced out of the room. I sighed as I glanced over my shoulder into her room once more before stepping outside. I looked to see Bex, Elijah, and Hayley setting up firewood for a bonfire. I rolled my eyes at the old tradition that Bex was trying to do. I hoped down from the front porch and stepped closer to them.

//////////////////////////

"Curse on the firstborn? What the hell is that supposed to be?" Bex asked as she placed another log on the pile.

"According to Finn, our sister Freya didn't die of the plague," Klaus explained as he stood next to me. "She was taken as payment by our Aunt Dahlia, who then cursed all Mikaelson firstborns for eternity."