Chapter 57 Gather up the Killers

5 Years later....

I was woken up from my sleep by someone jumping on my bed. I rolled over to see a small child jumping up and down on my bed. I stared up at the child with an amused smile. "Mom, get up. It's happening." I smiled at her as I glanced over at my phone. The time read 6:27 am.

"What's happening that you must wake me up this early?" I asked her as she continued to jump on me.

"The garden. It's growing." She said with an excited voice.

I smirked up at my child, pulled the blankets back over my head, and turned my back to her. "The garden grows every day, my sweet."

"Not that." I felt her jump one last time, but she landed right on my body. Her knees rammed into my back, waking me more with a groan. This girl.... I instantly sat up and grabbed her by the waist, making her sit on my lap as she playfully smiled up at me like she didn't do anything wrong. "The spell you taught me yesterday. It's working. Come look." She said excitedly. I rolled my eyes and sat her on the floor beside the bed. I rolled my eyes again and tossed the blankets off me. I stood next to the jumpy child as she ran out of the room happily. I ran my hand through my hair and followed her through the house. I glanced around the dark house, letting me know the sun hadn't come up ultimately. As I stopped in the kitchen, small streams of light shined through the windows. I grabbed the pre-made coffee that was waiting on the counter. I took a quick sip before making my way to the front door. I will say that I'm happy my kid knows to make coffee for me before waking me up. Hayley was smart to teach her that. I smiled at the scene as I opened the door.

Hope was dancing around in the gated garden as the early sun rays gently shined around her. I glanced around at the growing plants. You could see the same twinkles of magic dancing around each plant, making them mature faster in the morning sun. I sat down atop the porch steps, drinking my coffee. I smiled down at Hope as she watched the plant grow around her. This is one of the few spells my mother taught me when I was her age. It teaches patience and control. You must use only a tiny amount of magic, or the plants will die. Overloading them would only kill them. This also keeps her closer to nature than we already are. We are both powerful witches, but we both need to understand control. Even I need to sometimes.

I sighed as the sun started to shine brighter. I leaned on the wooden railing and took another sip of my coffee. My eyes glanced down at my hand. They landed on the initials engraved on my skin. My face fell at the sight of NM. It's been five years. Five years since I have seen my family. Five years of finding the right spells and tracking down the seven packs. I took another sip of my coffee as I remembered everything I had done over the years with Hayley. I cured Freya. I siphoned Bex's hex. The only thing left was to heal Elijah and Kol. I have left Hayley in charge of finding all the packs, and only one pack is left. We are so close to waking everyone up and getting the family back. "Mom, did you see the butterflies?" Hope asked me as she approached me, showing off her new friend in her hand.

"They're pretty," I said with a smile. I leaned off the railing and opened my arms to her. She returned the smile and sat on the step below me between my legs. I wrapped one arm around her waist as we watched the magic around us in the sun. I rested my chin on her head as she hugged my arm. Over the years, I told her stories of her family. I told her about the best tales of her aunts and uncles. If she had questions, I tried not to hide much from her. Only the bloodier stories stayed hidden. I'll let her hear about those when she is not seven. The only detailed question she had was about her father. I told her he was a good man who loved and did anything for her. I'll have to see what happens when they meet. 

My face saddened again slightly. "Are you thinking of him again?"

My head tilted down to look at her. "What?"