Chapter 20 Rebirth

I wiped my face as I leaned back in my chair with my legs prompted on the table I was sitting at. Glass in my hand dangling inches from the floor. I sighed as I brought it up to take a drink. I ran my hand through my damp hair again, pulling it back from my face. I sucked on the straw in my glass, hard. I looked down to see that I was empty. I raised the glass in the air and shook it. The ice rattled against the sides. I waited for someone to come over to refill it or take it, but no one came. I leaned back and glanced around at the people slumped over at the tables and laying out on the ground.

"What's it gonna take to get a drink?" I said as I stood up from my table. I walked over to the bar and placed my glass on the surface. "Bartender?" I knocked on wood. "Sir?" I knocked again. "Ma'am?" But no one came. "Fine. I'll get it myself." I said to myself as I hoisted my body over the bar. I slid off the surface and landed on a body behind the bar. He didn't make any noise when I landed on his leg, as most would. I turned and grabbed a bottle of liquor and poured it into my glass. I lifted the cup to my mouth again and gulped it down. "The service sucks here," I said with a sigh.

I turned my head to the door as it opened. I rolled my eyes at the shape of a person who walked in from outside. I turned to see a man on the other side of the bar holding a gun to my face. I looked him over to see that he was a police officer. I tilted my glass to him without a second thought. He was saying things to me that I wasn't really listening to. I stepped out from behind the bar and stood in front of him. He proceeded to grab my hands and cuff them behind my back. I watched as my glass fell to the floor, shattering to pieces.

With inhuman speed, I turned around and grabbed ahold of his throat. I held him in the air as he struggled against my grip. I watched as he looked down at me with fear in his eyes. He pulled and pushed at my hand to try to get free. I watched with a bored emotionless face while he continued to fight for his life. The skin around my hand turned a pale blue and black color. I finally released him, and he fell to the ground in front of me. He choked and coughed as he sat in front of me. I finally did zero in on what he was saying. "What are you?"

I raised a brow at his choice of words. I leaned down next to him while he stared at me. "Death," I said as I felt my face change as I latched onto his throat. Feeling the blood pour into my mouth as I sucked. I heard him yell out and begged me to stop. I listened to this all night from the other people in the bar. The events of last night dried on my skin and soaked in my clothes. I felt the hunger subsiding only a bit as I yanked myself from the officer while his limp, dead body slumped to the ground adding to the pile of bodies scattered around the bar. I leaned up and ran my sleeve across my face. Smearing the blood some more. I sighed as I glanced around at the bodies and shrugged my shoulders. I walked to the bar and swiped a bottle. I ripped off the top, shattering the glass as I took a big gulp from it. I walked over to the entrance with the bottle in hand. I turned back to the dark bar and waved my hand. I watched as my energy ran through my arm and shot out, "Incendia." A fire started in the middle of the bar. Burning away the bodies, burning away the night's events, burning away evidence of me even being there. I watched at the door as yet another bar full of people burned to the ground. I took another gulp of my bottle before tossing it into the fire, making it explode and spread out. I pushed the door open, walking out into the daylight while leaving yet another crime scene behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stepped into the compound just as I see Klaus walk past me as if he was leaving. He turns to see my blood-covered body as I stepped past him and into the courtyard. I turned my head to look at him. Only for a moment do our eyes meet—his blue stare into my brown. We don't even say a thing. The only thing that you could hear was the sound of our shoes hitting against the concrete. But then, just as they met, they released eye contact. It was only a quick look before we both went on in each of our paths. I stopped for a second to listen to his footsteps leave the compound. I turned to stare after him, wanting him to come back for only a second.