Chapter 38 For the Next Millennium

I stepped up to the old bar called Tristen's and pulled open the door with a smile on my face. The bartender waved at me like he did yesterday. I glanced around, looking for my friend. My smile widened as I saw him sitting next to the window, reading a book in the sunlight. I made my way to the table where he sat, my heels clicking against the wood under my feet. I placed my hand on the chair across from him as he glanced up. "Is this seat taken?" I asked him.

"It wasn't taken yesterday. Nor the day before that." He smiled as he continued reading the rest of his page. "I believe that it is yours, my dear."

I pulled the chair out and slid down in the seat across from him. "So, what are you reading today?" I asked, trying to read the title of the blank book.

"An old classic that I used to read many years ago," he said as he placed his bookmark in the book and then closed the book. "It's about war and love."

"Isn't that the same thing you said yesterday?" I asked, pointing to the book, confused.

"Yesterday, I told you it was about loyalty and bloodlines." He said as the waiter stepped up with a drink in his hand. "I got your usual scotch on the rocks."

"Yeah, I can get drunk before work," I said as I brought the glass to my lips. "This is why you are my friend," I said as I placed the glass back down. "How is your sister, by the way?"

He sighed out thinking about it for a moment. "Medicated. She is getting the help she needs." He said as he looked over his shoulder. I followed his line of sight to the couple that sat at the far end of the bar. The striking red hair was impossible to miss as she smiled and giggled with the blond man in front of her. His deep blue eyes met mine for only a second before returning to the woman in front of him. "But I am happy that she found someone good for her. Thank you, by the way." I turned back to meet his eyes.

"For introducing her to Nik? No problem, he needs someone to bond with anyways." I chuckled. I watched as a tiny bit of sunlight lit up the room. It shined on my blonde hair as I tucked it behind my ear while I took another sip of my drink.

"Oh, I see it healed quite nicely." He said as he leaned forwards and gently took hold of my wrist to show the fresh tattoo on my skin.  The black ink lettering stained my skin with the name De Martel. I felt his thumb roll over the letters. "I was afraid it would have disappeared."

"Oh, yeah. I told you that even if I'm a vampire, I can still get a tattoo." I said as I looked down at the tattoo.

"I am happy that we can meet like this." he smiled as he traced the black ink. "I still can't believe he left his beloved wife in here."

"I'm not his wife, not in this life anyway," I commented.

"Really?" He questioned. "Then what is that?" he said as he turned my hand over to reveal a diamond ring. As I looked down at it, I heard the wind zip around me harshly. The window next to me shattered. The image of my friend faded as the bar blurred away. I felt a shot of pain press on my head as my hands clenched against the side of my head. The bar's wood split as the bar turned into the grassy meadow I was used to seeing for months now. There stood Klaus in a suit and ring in his hand. He stood at the end of an aisle with a smile on his face. I glanced around to see people sitting in chairs. The Mikaelson family stood on either side of the aisle as I made my way to the end. Hayley was standing on the bride's side in a pretty lavender bridesmaid dress with Bex, Freya, Camille, and Davina. On Klaus's stood, his brothers all in suits with Jackson. I took my place in front of Niklaus as I turned to hand Hayley my flowers.

"Do you, Niklaus Mikaelson, take Dawn Gilbert as your lawful wedded wife? To have and to hold? For better or worse? In sickness and in health? To love and to cherish? Till death do you part?" I heard someone ask as I gazed into his blue eyes.