Chapter 21 Alive and kicking

I was sitting outside a little café at one of their tables, sketching the scenery

I was sitting outside a little café at one of their tables, sketching the scenery. Every once in a while, I would look up to ensure I got the details right. I was working on one of the buildings when the waitress came and filled up my cup again. I looked up at her and thanked her with a smile before turning back to the sketch. I moved the pencil with every curve and shaded it in the shadows. I glanced up to watch a mother holding the hand of her child walking across the street. I absentmindedly ran my thump over my ring as I watched them. I took a deep breath and picked up my cup to take a sip. I stared at the mother as she smiled down at her son. I set my cup down with another sigh and then looked down at my page. "What a beautiful drawing." I turned my head to see a guy staring down at my page.

"Thanks. It's just a rough sketch." I said as I wiped to the page.

"Well, it is excellent." He smiled down at me. "Are you an artist?" he asked.

"No, it's just a hobby," I said as I looked up at him. He felt familiar, but I didn't know-how. "I haven't done it in a while. I wanted to make sure I was still good."

"Why'd you stop?" he asked curiously. I frowned a bit at the question. "Sorry, I don't mean to pry."

"No, it's fine. It was family issues." I said basically. It was the truth. I stopped because of everything that happened. I got too busy worrying about everyone else.

"It seems like they're over if you're sketching again," he said as he stepped around to the other chair. "Do you mind?" he pointed to the chair as if asking to sit.

"No, go ahead." I smiled as I closed my book and set it on the table next to my coffee. "It's complicated. Some stuff happened, and it got a bit out of control. This helps me clear my head."

"Well, I'm sorry that you have a cloudy head." He stared at me with sympathy as if he knew exactly what I was talking about. "That's pretty. Where did you get that? Boyfriend?" he asked, pointing to my ring.

"I guess you could call him that, but I wouldn't." I smiled down at my ring. "It's complicated," I said and watched his smile grow wider. "Sorry, my life is one big mess."

"It's okay." He said. "I have just been seeing you here a lot. I thought you would be great company." I heard something vibrate near him. his smile seemed to fade as he pulled out his phone to check it. "Well, it seems that I have to go. it was nice talking to you...."

"Dawn." I filled in the blank.

"Kaleb." He introduced himself. "I'll see you around, Dawn." He said as he stood up from the chair and walked past me. I felt a sudden chill down my spine. It was a very familiar feeling as he steps past. Instantly my hand shoots out and grabs his wrist, stopping him from leaving. He turns to face me with worry in his eyes.

My mouth moves automatically as I said a name that I haven't heard in a long time. "Kol." I watched as his eyes widen in shock. I shake my head slightly as I released his wrist. "I'm sorry."