Chapter 43 Beautiful Mistake

KLAUS POV

Romania 1592

I watched from the bottom of the staircase as the lady of the hour descended down the stone staircase. With a glass of wine in my hand, I could hardly take my eye off the exquisite beauty before me. The rest of the guests bowed to her as my brother and I did the same. She only glanced at me as she welcomed the rest of her guests to her ball. I turned my head to look over to her father, that stepped forwards and placed a hand on her arm, guiding her away from my family. Rebekah was the first to step up to her to congratulate her on her crowning. I stayed behind, waiting for her to approach me. I already knew that I had her under my spell from the moment we stepped into this castle. Her eyes always followed me where ever I went. I smiled a wicked smile as her father glared at me. "Behave, Niklaus." I heard my brother whisper to me as my eyes remained on the newly crowned queen.

"I am on my best behavior," I said as I tore my eyes off of her. "Elijah, we are here as honored guests. I won't do anything to jeopardize that in the slightest." I chuckled at my own words.

"I know it has been a while since Cassandra has passed but, try to keep yourself under control tonight." He explained as the mention of my wife's name struck a core with me. It still pained me to hear her name, but at least I can leave my bed now. However, I have mostly filled the hole with as many bodies as I could get my hands on. But none of them could completely fill it. She was still in my heart, and I missed her. My thump rolled over my ring that symbolized our love, missing seeing hers on her finger.

"Relax. I'm fine." I said as I lifted my glass to my lips as the queen and her father made their way to me. I glanced over at Elijah's face as he showed the exact look that had been there for decades. Worry.

"I see that you two have settled in nicely." The old king stated with his daughter coming up in tow. "Lord Klaus, Lord Elijah." He bowed his head to us, and we returned the gesture.

"Yes, this is an astounding celebration," Elijah stated. "Your highness." He leaned forward and kissed the queen's hand as she bowed. But it wasn't until she turned to me that I felt myself snap out of the trace of the memory. The hazel eyes are never hard to miss as she smirked at me. The people began to fade away behind me as I stared into her eyes. She chuckled as I recognized the wave of magic coming from this one girl.

 She chuckled as I recognized the wave of magic coming from this one girl

"Hello, Klaus." She said as I realized that this wasn't real. "Like my dress?" This was one of the memories buried deep in the back of my mind that not even Elijah remembered.

"Where am I?" I asked Dawn as she smirked at me like I should have already figured out the answer. "Why am I here?"

"I don't know. This is your mind, not mine." She stated as she gestured around the ballroom. I glared at her. "You're in solitary confinement." She simply said.

"You put me in the coffin," I stated as I felt anger building up inside of me. "Why?"

"I told you that I would if she wasn't killed by the end of the day. Did you think I was bluffing?" she circled around me like I was her prey.