Chapter 51 Alone with Everybody

After stopping at a gas station, I stepped out of the car with Hope, much to Klaus's dismay

After stopping at a gas station, I stepped out of the car with Hope, much to Klaus's dismay. She smiled at me as I swayed with her, trying to rock her back to sleep. I glanced around as Klaus filled the car up, and Hayley stepped into the gas station for a bit. Hope held on to my hair as she watched the foggy sky above. I turned around when I heard the jiggling sound from the gas station door. Hayley stepped out, carrying a plastic bag. I watched as she pulled out a hat that said 'Mother Trucker' and waved it towards Klaus. "Absolutely not." I started laughing at the hat as I stepped closer to them.

"Oh my God, yes." I laughed out. Klaus sent a glare toward me.

"Need to blend in," Hayley said as she stepped closer. "You could start by losing the $1,000 jacket."

I listened to Klaus sigh as he glanced around. "Tell me again why we're on a scenic tour of methamphetamine country and not compelling a jet to some far off, preferably tropical destination?" He suggested.

"You just want to see Dawn in a bikini." Hayley scoffed as he glanced back at me.

"I wouldn't mind that at all." He said as I opened the back door and gently placed Hope back in her car seat to not wake her up. I put her headphones on so that the sounds around faded away.

"Look, I'm not the one with an army of pissed-off vampires coming after me. Can I have the keys?" Hayley said as I leaned out of the car again. I watched as Klaus handed her the keys to the vehicle.

"On a scale of one to ten, how much am I going to despise this little plan?" He asked as I slid into the car next to Hope.

"Solid 85," I said as I closed the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I sighed as Hayley pulled the car up to an old bar in the middle of nowhere. I climbed out of the car and glanced around. I made my way to the other side of the vehicle as Klaus reached in the back to unstrap Hope and pull out her stroller. After getting Hope settled, we followed Hayley into the old run-down-looking bar. "Now I can see why you wanted to come here. I feel safer already." Klaus said as he held the door open for me. I pushed the stroller through the door as the smell of old alcohol rushed into the nose. Music played in the background, and people played pool in the back of the bar. I could feel some eyes on Hope and me as I pushed us closer to the bar.

"We're closed." A ruff voice stated as I turned to check on Hope.

"You don't look closed," Klaus said as he pulled out a chair next to me. I rolled my eyes at the attitude he had had all day. It's starting to get really old.

"We are for you." The man said as I leaned up and sat down on a bar stool with Klaus laying his arm on the back of my chair.

"Well, perhaps you failed to notice the hat." Klaus continued. I quickly elbowed him in the side to get him to shut up. A smile appeared across his face.