Chapter 55 Where nothing stays buried

KOL POV

I leaned against the bar with Davina lying against me. I gently cradled her in my arms as tears poured down my cheeks and soaked my bloodied shirt. I glanced over at my sister's body, waiting for her to rise again. I knew I should have made my way to the compound and talked to Freya, but I was glued to Davina's body, with pure desperation written all over my face. Dawn would know what to do right now. She would know how to bring Davina back, but I don't know what to do with her out of the picture right now. Tears rolled down my face as I stared ahead at nothing particular. Sensitive hearing picked up the footsteps stepping into the destroyed bar. My eyes turned to see Marcel making his way in. His eyes instantly found Davina and me. I quickly and softly placed a small kiss on her forehead as I gently laid her down. I struggled to pull myself away from her, but I knew I had to at least explain what I could to Marcel. I stood up to face Marcel as rage and shock ran across his face. "What are you doing here?" he firmly asked me with a pointed look. My head hung low as I started to explain.

Nevertheless, nothing came out. I had no explanation to say to him. I watched as tears started to run down his face as he turned towards Davina. I stepped out of his way as he kneeled next to the girl I fell in love with.

"The Ancestors had a hold of me," I stated as I stared at his back. "I was out of my head. I would never have hurt her." more tears ran down my face. "I tried to make it stop. I made her dagger me. Nothing worked!" my eyes remained on her body as Marcel stood up. He turned to face me and glared with pure rage. When my eyes connected with his, he shoved me back. I grunted only slightly as I straightened myself. But it wasn't met because Marcel rammed his fist into my face sending me back to the ground. I groaned as I lay on the cold floor. I was numb to the pain while the grief took over. "I loved her. I swear I did." I cried more as I curled myself up.

"Get up." I heard Marcel demand as I tilted my head up. "Get up," he said. I pulled myself to my feet, wondering what he was thinking. "This is New Orleans. Witch spirits can be brought back from the dead. So, that is exactly what we are going to do." He stated as he stared at me. "We are going to bring her back," he said as he turned back to pick her up. But his eyes connected with the other body on the other side of the bar. His eyes narrowed slightly. "What is she doing here?" he asked as he stepped closer to Dawn.

I glanced at my sister but was almost shocked to see her body. The lighter grey color has spread across her body, making her look genuinely dead. I stepped closer to her and looked down at her neck. The bite mark that was supposed to be healed by now was still there, covered in dry blood. "She was helping Davina. Trying to help me." I explained as my hand petted her hair. "I guess it didn't work out that way. She was supposed to wake up a long time ago."

"Then, why hasn't she?" Marcel asked as he stepped closer. He glanced down at the bite mark as well.

"I don't know," I said as I picked her up.

/////

"Okay, we gotta get her consecrated right now," Vincent said as he stood over Davina and Dawn. I impatiently stood behind Marcel, waiting for his brilliant plan. I scoffed when I heard his words. "If we don't, we can't even attempt to get her back."

"We can't consecrate her," I stated.

Marcel instantly snapped his gaze at me. "Now, what the hell are you talking about?" He asked, annoyed that I even said that.

"The Ancestors despise Davina," I explained to them. "If we consecrate her, she'll wake up in their domain, and they will destroy her."

"If we don't, we never see her again," Marcel argued.

"Okay, that's enough. All right?" Vincent yelled out to make us quiet down. "We all want to help her, so we need to ensure that she's consecrated, but she's gotta be safe. So we're going to pull her into a place where she's protected, then we can resurrect her. And that's going to require a lot of energy. And my power is not what it used to be before I got shunned."