Chapter 56 The bloody crown

I felt a body lift from the bed next to me. My eyes fluttered open slightly as my body turned over. The darkness dulled the outline of the person sitting on the bed's edge. My body leaned up, pulling the covers with me as my hand rested on his shoulder. It slowly slid down his arm as a ghost of a smile appeared on his saddened face. His body leaned back into mine as my chin landed on his cold skin. "Feeling better?" I asked as he sighed in response to the obvious question. I placed a small kiss against his shoulder as his hand rested on top of mine. "I'm sorry about Marcel, Nik. I know you loved him like a son and friend." I heard another sigh come from him as he leaned away from me only slightly. But my gentle hold on him kept him in his place. My eyes glanced up when a slight sound came from our daughter's room.

"Hope's awake." He said as he stood up from the bed. I watched as he pulled some pants on while I leaned back on the headboard behind me.

"You know you're gonna have to talk to him eventually," I said as I watched him tilt his head to look at me. "He's not going away anytime soon."

A small smile from before widened only slightly and then dulled simultaneously. He leaned over the bed and placed a kiss on my cheek. My hand stopped him from leaving me. "I know, love. But can I just be sad today? Can I mourn my friend today?" He asked as he leaned off the bed again.

"You can mourn and be sad all you want to," I said as he stepped away from the bed. "But your brother thinks you hate him." He stopped at the door as he listened to my words. "At least, talk to him." He nodded his head and then left the room to check on Hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quickly descended the stairs and approached the three men gearing up for a fight. "This why we should have more protection spells around this place," I said as I stepped closer to the table full of weapons.

"Freya's tracking your former sirelings now so that it won't be long," Kol said as he glanced at me. "Which works for me. I could use a good fight. And we never thought this would work out like this, sister, so don't beat yourself up like this." I rolled my eyes to the statement.

"Well, we do have an advantage," Elijah said as his hand landed on one of the knives. "No vampire may enter this stronghold so long as the deed remains in Freya's name."

"So what?" I asked. "We're supposed to wait here while vampires surround the compound?" I asked as I pointed towards the door.

"If they're so determined to die at our hands, let them come," Klaus said as he turned towards me.

But a loud thud was heard in the courtyard before he could say anything. Our heads snapped up to see what it was. We just started to make our way toward the front when my ring started to heat up. I glanced down at my hand and stopped. The ring burned my skin slightly as my head tilted back at the small grunts coming from upstairs. Instantly, I was upstairs, grabbing one of the knives on the way up. I gripped the handle as I made my way toward sounds. I opened the door to my daughter's room and stood tall, glaring at the vampires that knelt in pain. I glanced over at Hope as she softly played in her crib. The older vampires were crouched down as their hands gripped their heads. I was happy that the extra protection spells I put in this room were doing their job. Anyone who wasn't family or someone I considered a friend would be put into much pain from these spells. Plus, it was connected to my ring, so I would be the first to know. I stepped into the nursery with the blade in hand. "Sorry," I spoke as the older vampires glared at me. "No strangers allowed," I stated as my face heated up. Instantly, my arm pulled back and sliced forward in one quick motion. The blade flew through the air, cutting through the ancient vampires' necks, sending their heads to the ground behind their bodies. Blood splattered against my face and chest as it splashed the air. I heard movement behind me as I suddenly was next to Hope's crib.