Not all that wander are lost - Part 1 - Bran x Reader

New character time. I must confess that I am not a huge Bran fan, and I am not even sure that there are many out there, as I don't seem to see many stories for him. But I love a challenge, and making Bran human, emotional, and likable is definitely a challenge. So, I hope that you will enjoy this offering.

Since the war had ended. Since the Night King and his army had been destroyed. Since the Mother of Dragon's madness had been stopped. (Y/n) had once again begun to wander. Making her way from one town to the next. From one city, village and hamlet to another. It wasn't that she was lost. It was more that she had no real place to call home. And now that she had been travelling for so long, the only place that she felt really comfortable, was on the road. Her trusty steed, her only companion. The earth her only bed. The dark night sky, her blanket. The billions of twinkling stars, her source of wonder. And the crackle of the fire, lulling her to sleep.

It wasn't that she didn't want a place to lay down her roots. Wasn't that she didn't want friend. A companion that could actually reply when she spoke. It was more that she had never found a place that suited her. A place that she felt, fit her like a glove. But she had always hoped that the next town, the next village, would be the perfect fit.

(Y/n) had never felt as though she truly belonged. She had been born of two worlds, of Westeros and Essos, though who and where her parents were, she had never known. The young woman never feeling as though she belonged in the world of the Six Kingdoms, or the realms of the Free Cities. Yet she had tried. For many moons, she had lived in Meereen, Braavos, and even Qarth. But as welcome as the people there had made her feel. Despite how beautiful the lands of her kin, there was always something missing. She could never put her finger on what it was, but she knew that something wasn't quite right. That a little voice inside her head, would always tell her that it was time to move on. To search for pastures new. Yet the world of Westeros, had proved no more alluring. (Y/n) finding that the villages and towns of the Six Kingdoms, were often dark, dirty and dangerous. And some would say that they were no place for a still quite young woman. But she had still met good and kind people. Still been to places and found things that had made her smile. And that was why she had decided to give Westeros, one more chance. She would look to one more city, before trying something different. The daughter of two worlds, contemplating visiting the mysterious lands of Asshai and Ibben. Or perhaps sailing the seas, if all else failed.

"So, Illiros. What do you think to Westeros once again? To the great city of Kings Landing? Perhaps they love horses there. And as you are so handsome, I am sure that this new King Bran will make you the king of the equines." (Y/n) chuckled, as she gently rubbed the nose of the large, snow white stallion. The great steed, whinnying and huffing softly, as his mistress combed her fingers through his mane.

"Why, I would love to be your queen, your majesty." (Y/n) replied to her mount's utterance. The young woman curtsying respectfully to her old friend.

"You never know Illiros. Perhaps Kings Landing will be the perfect place for both of us. I have heard that it is differernt. That it has its own beauty in a way. That even though the Targaryen razed the city with her dragon. It, and what is left of the Red Keep are still a sight to see. Maybe there, we could find you a suitable filly, to be your true queen. And perhaps, I could find myself a king of my own. It would be nice to find someone that I could spend my life with. Even one fleeting lifetime, can seem like an eternity when you are alone. And I would willingly give up my wanderings, for one simple life with the perfect man." (Y/n) continued softly. Her tone turning sad, as she thought about all the things that she may miss out on, if she were never to find the one meant for her.

"Hey!" (Y/n) exclaimed. Her tone once again turning cheery, as Illiros bumped her with his head.

"Yes, I know. I should not dwell on such sad things. I should think of all the possibilities that Kings Landing might have to offer. And yes, you are also right, I should light a fire and make camp for the night. We still have a long way to travel before we get to the city. And an early start would be the best. Why are you so clever, Illiros?" (Y/n) added. The smiling woman momentarily laying her head against that of the beautiful stallion, before making her way to find some firewood.

>>-------------------------------<<

Bran looked out of the window over his city. His city. Sometimes he still couldn't believe that he was king. It was much different to being a simple son of the north. The second son of Eddard and Catelyn.

He couldn't help but feel as though he had lost his freedom. His life now taken up with matters of state. With continuing the good relationship between the Six Kingdoms and his sister Sansa in the north. And the on-going protection of his lands and people. But the most pressure came from the calls for him to wed. For him to have heirs that could take the throne once he had passed. It wasn't that Westeros didn't have its fair share of beautiful ladies. Ladies that would be more than happy to call themselves his bride. Even if he were a cripple. But none of them were right. None of them where what he was looking for. Yet where the woman he was looking for, could be, he didn't know. He could remember how happy his mother and father were when he was a child. The love that they shared. And he wanted that for himself. A woman that he could spend the rest of his days with. A woman that would share his life and his reign. That would be the queen of his people. The queen of his heart. But that happiness, for him at least, seemed out of reach.

" Is everything alright?" Tyrion asked, as she came into the room, carrying a small pile of parchments for the young king to sign.

Tyrion had noticed that Bran had grown even quieter recently. That when he was not busy, he would spend his time looking out of the window and onto the great city, the three eyed raven lost in his own thoughts. The little lord knew that being king was a lot of pressure to put on a young man's shoulders. Even if Bran had known that he had ventured all that way to lead the Seven Kingdoms to the best of his abilities. The Hand also knew of the pressure from the people and the small council, for Bran to find himself a wife. But what could he do? He was there to advise Bran. To help steer the young king in the right direction. To give him the benefit of his years and experience. Not to be a match maker. 

"I am fine lord Tyrion. Nothing is wrong." Bran replied with a heavy sigh, as he reluctantly turned from the window. A soft smile pulling at his lips as he looked at his Hand.

"Why don't you go out with the men on their patrol, tomorrow? I am sure that a carriage ride beyond the city walls would make you feel better." Tyrion replied, as she placed the pile of parchments on the table. The Lord of Casterly Rock knowing that the young man was the furthest thing from alright.

"I have too much to do Tyrion. And the small council would never let me..........."

"It doesn't matter what the small council will or will not allow. You are the king. Their king. And if you wish to ride out with your men, and patrol the city and your lands, then you can. I will take care of business here while you are gone. It is good for a king to know his people. To get out amongst them." Tyrion told him, as he placed a reassuring hand on the young king's arm.

"Do you really think............." Bran began. His heart racing a little as he thought about seeing something other than the inside of the Red Keep.

"Yes, I do. Now, you should eat and then get some rest. All this work can wait for another day." Tyrion chuckled. Handing Bran a goblet of wine, and smiling to himself, as she saw a slight twinkle come to Bran's eyes.