The banner "man" - Part 3 - Jory x Reader

My apologies for this chapter being a little shorter. But I hope you still enjoy.

How could he move around the arena so easily? How could he handle such a heavy weapon so effortlessly? How could he counter everyone of his moves, as if he could read his mind? The questions bombarding Jory's mind, as Sebastian blocked his latest attack. The Captain of the Guard having tried everything that he could think of to beat the young man. Yet everything had failed. Jory now knowing how the bannermen must have felt when they fought the boy earlier.

"You wanted to see what I could do, so I'm showing you. You should be careful what you wish for Captain. I'll show you that I can be a bannerman. A bannerman that is as great as my father ever was." The young man replied. Pushing the captain away, before bringing his sword down towards Jory's head. The captain blocking the blow, but suddenly finding himself on the floor. His legs taken out from under him. His eyes growing wide as he saw the tip of a sword pointed right at him.

"Well, Jory? What do you think now? Do ya still think that you've seen better?" Ned asked, as he and Rodrik made their way over to the pair. The lord placing his hand on the new bannerman's shoulder. Sebastian dropping his sword to his side before offering Jory his hand.

                                                           >>-----------------------------------<<

(Y/n) moved around the ring. This was where she felt most at home. The dirt beneath her feet. A blade in her hand. The weight of the sword, something that she had become familiar with, after all those years of training with her father. She couldn't help but chuckle to herself, as the captain struck another blow. She had never expected him to be so predictable. Yet she did know that the soldiers were taught to fight in a particular way. A way that Guthrie had also taught her. A way that she had been taught to counter. And Jory Cassel was using every one of those techniques. The only thing standing him apart, was a certain amount of flare. But that style was nothing when it came up against the daughter of the twin bladed swordsman.

"Ya don't go down easy, do ya?" Jory asked. His breath heavy and laboured, as he pulled her in close. Their swords grinding and screaming at one another, as they battled for supremacy.

"You wanted to see what I could do, so I'm showing you. You should be careful what you wish for Captain. I'll show you that I can be a bannerman. A bannerman that is as great as my father ever was." (Y/n) replied, as she pushed the captain away, before bringing his sword down towards Jory's head. The startled captain blocking the blow. But with a sudden swing of her leg, (Y/n) took his out from under him. The captain finding himself prone on the floor. His eyes growing wide as he looked at the tip of the sword that was pointed right at him.

"Well, Jory? What do you think now? Do ya still think that you've seen better?" The Lord of Winterfell enquired from behind her. (Y/n) dropping her sword to her side as she felt a large hand placed on her shoulder. Her gaze softening as she looked down at her vanquished opponent and offered him her hand.

"I, er............he will do." Jory agreed, as he brushed off the dirt from his uniform. His eyes never leaving those of the young man.

He knew that there was something different about the boy. Something different about his manner. The way that he held himself. Yet, for the life of him, he couldn't think of what it could be. But whatever it was, what could he say? The boy had proved himself. Rodrik and Ned were definitely impressed. So, whatever it was. Whatever it was that was gnawing away at the back of his mind, Jory was sure that he would figure it out sooner or later. For now though, he had other things to think about. He had to see if he could turn the rabble of men that had also come to try for a place, into something he could use. Something that he would be proud to command. Though he had to admit, from what he had seen so far, it was going to be a lot of work. A lot of hard work.

"Good. Well at least ya have one to add to the ranks, Jory. And perhaps young master Sharpe could prove of some further assistance. Guthrie's techniques would be a good thing for our men to learn. It would give them an edge that no one else has. So, maybe we can persuade him to help you with these new men. To knock them into shape." Ned added. Yet another small smile pulling at his lips, as the young Sharpe bowed low.

It had been many a year since Ned had seen Guthrie. Years since the lord had given the old soldier land, as a thank you for his service to he and his family. Yet he was sure that he had heard that Guthrie's child had been a girl. A quite beautiful young woman. But, word of mouth could change many things. The facts altering and distorting a little with each telling. But whatever was the case. Whether this Sebastian had left a sister back at their home. The twin bladed swordsman had certainly taught his child well. And the Lord of Winterfell was not about to turn this young man away.

"It would be an honour, milord. I know that my father would have been glad that I could be of service." The young man replied. Ned nodding, before he and his Master at Arms turned and made their way back into the castle. Happy to leave everything to the captain of the guard.

"Well Sharpe. Why don't ya tell me what ya think of the other men. And if ya think we can do anything with them." Jory said, as he turned to look at the boy. Sebastian eyeing the others, as they muttered and whispered about what they had just seen.

"I think that you have your work cut out for you, Sir. But its nothing that a little effort can't fix." Sebastian replied. Smiling at the captain before he made his way over to the others.

(Y/n) rolling up her sleeves and readying herself for work.