Still Waters run deep - Part 5 - Gendry x Reader

(Y/n) had coughed and spluttered her way through breakfast with her father. Trying her best to look as sick as possible, until it had got to the point that Robert had had to agree with Elora, that his daughter should be taken to her room for the rest of the day, so that she might feel better for the evening's celebrations. (Y/n) happily allowing Elora to lead her away. But now, now she had changed from her gown into the breeches and shirt that she always wore when she ventured into the city. Her large cloak and hood hiding her from the eyes of the bannermen and others, as she made her way out of the Red Keep and onto the dirty, grey streets of the capital.

When Gendry had bumped into her the night before, she had only been able to tell that he could be a smith, by the dirt that covered his face, and his smell. A smell that spoke of the fire and molten metal. The smell of sweat that came from a good, honest, hard days work. It was a smell that none of the other men around her had. They were all too clean and perfumed. Even the soldiers didn't have the same smell. And (Y/n) had to admit that she found the odour as intoxicating as any of the wines that sat in her father's cellars. And now, thanks to Elora, she knew where to find that intoxicating aroma again. She knew where to find Gendry. Now all she had to do was make her way to Tobho Mott's forge.

She had only met the master smith once before, when her father had allowed him to present a sword to her, for her last name day celebrations. The blade more beautiful than anything that she had seen. The mix of fine gold inlay and Valarian steel, making Ser Jaime's oathkeeper, look like nothing more than a lump of pig iron in comparison. The young doe sure that the weapon had not been crafted by the man from Qohor, but rather by the Smith himself. The god giving the sword to Tobho so that he could present it to her. But now she would have to meet him again, for if she wanted to see the apprentice, she would first had to get past the master. (Y/n) just hoping that Elora would continue to play her part, as she had promised.

(Y/n) raced through the streets, dodging carts, dogs, people and the shit filled puddles that littered her way. She knew that the day was still young, but if she was to spend any time with Gendry, she would have to get to the forge, sooner rather than later. (Y/n) had sworn to Elora that she would be back in plenty of time for them to prepare for the evening. And a promise to Elora, was a promise that she always kept.

Turning the corner onto the Street of Steel, (Y/n) suddenly hit something solid. Her body once again falling backward. But this time as she looked up from under her hood, she was not met by the handsome face of the apprentice, but the aged visage of his master.

"Watch where you are going, boy." Tobho growled, as (Y/n) slowly got up from the floor. Pulling her cowl further down over her face, to make sure that the smith didn't see her features.

"My.......my apologises, Master Mott." (Y/n) began, trying to make her voice sound as masculine as possible.

"It.......it was you I was comin ta see. The lady (Y/n) has asked if ya could come ta tha Keep. She said she wants ta commission a piece from ya, fa tha King. She asks if ya would go and ask fa her maid, Elora. Ta tell tha guards nothing but that ya want ta see tha maid. Lady (Y/n) wants it to be a surprise." (Y/n) explained, as she handed Tobho a note that she had written earlier, that reiterated everything that she had just said.

"A piece for the king?" Tobho mussed, as he looked at the note. The lady's name and seal of the Baratheons at the bottom, telling the old man that the "boy" in front of him was telling the truth.

"Very well. But first I must go and tell.............."

"No!..........I mean.......... I am afraid that the lady asked if ya would go straight away. Its her name day today, and she has lots ta do, as ya may understand." (Y/n) interrupted with a slight squeak in her voice. Tobho thankfully not seeming to hear.

"But Gendry.........."

"I would be happy ta tell ya apprentice of ya whereabouts, Master Mott. Tha lady (Y/n) so wishes ta call on ya expertise in this matter." (Y/n) interrupted again. Holding back a chuckle as Mott seemed to straighten himself slightly, as he was told that the lady needed his expertise.

"Very well. But make sure that you tell Gendry where I have gone. And that I won't be long."

"Well, you'll be as long as Elora can come up with something to keep you at the castle." (Y/n) muttered under her breath.

"Pardon?"

"No.......nothing Master Mott. I'll just be off ta tell Gendry." (Y/n) spluttered, bowing slightly before she made her way around the old man and ran for his forge.

                                               >>-------------------------------------<<

"Master Mott isn't here............" Gendry called out, as he heard someone move.

"I know he isn't. I sent him to the Keep." A beautiful voice interjected, before Gendry could tell the visitor to call back when the old man had returned. The apprentice's eyes growing wide as he saw (Y/n) standing in the doorway.

"Mi.......milady." Gendry stammered, as he dropped his hammer. The apprentice bowing low as (Y/n) made her way further into the forge.

"So, you know." (Y/n) replied, as she made her way over to where Gendry stood, still bowing respectfully. (Y/n) placing her palm under his chin and raising his head so that he was looking at her.

"That ya tha king's daughter? Aye, I know. Tobho said that he only knew one girl called (Y/n) in these parts, and that was tha Lady (Y/n) Baratheon."

"I know I should have said something last night, Gendry. But I had hoped that I would be the one to tell you the truth. But, now you know, I hope that you won't treat me any different to how you did last night. Won't speak to me any differently. Here, with you, I am just (Y/n). Not a lady. Not the daughter of Robert Baratheon. Just (Y/n)." (Y/n) explained, as she made him stand up straight. The young doe never having been one for others bowing and curtsying every time she entered a room.

"And why would ya want that? Why would a lady want anything ta do with me?" Gendry enquired. His heart beginning to race, as the lady pressed her body against his sweat soaked chest. Gendry sure that he didn't really care about the answer, as much as he was hoping that (Y/n) would never leave again.

All night he had thought about her. Said her name over and over, as if reciting some kind of mystical manta. His mind filled with images of her face. His ears with the sound of her voice. Gendry sure that his arms could still feel her form. That his lips could still taste her. And now here she was, as she promised. And all he could do was think about taking her into his arms once again.

"Because I think I love you." (Y/n) replied. Her voice barely above a whisper. Gendry's eyes closing, as her lips met his.