[18.1]ORIGINS CLASS 521: WHITE (part-two)

•|•|•

"I guess I should call it The Inversion."

•|•|•

"THE GREAT BATTLE," Mr. Ogustus began leaning against the table, twirling a felt pen in one hand, "between the so-called titans and the gods, between the Orisha's and demons, between light and darkness...." he trailed off bringing the pen down,

"A battle of the old and the new, of power as is always the case in battle, well, most battles. Better ones occur when one desires freedom, which is the only time when war becomes meaningful. However, the dangerous kind, that of a want of power only ends in one thing..." he looked at us, lowering his eyebrows, and "destruction."

There was a silence that engulfed us while he paused. It seemed to become a usual occurrence whenever Mr. Ogustus was teaching. I was yet to figure out his secret.

Claire and I arrived at class on time today. Given the fact that we already knew where our class was to be held, it was easy. Finally getting the window spot by the wall, I was happy to feel the light breeze as I watched him teach. One minute into the lesson and I was already hooked.

"Famine, diseases, droughts, wildfires, and floods... all results of the numerous attacks hurled at each other," he sighed, shoulders falling, "Humanity suffered losses, because of the shifts of power, of partial wins and partial losses on either side. Many gods fell, many titans perished, until finally, the 'good side' won" he air quoted good-side with a scoff, folding his arms,

"The thing is, there never was a good side. The gods had already been infected by the darkness. Things like wealth, lust, greed, power jealousy had taken fruit from deep within. They abandoned their steady pairs designed by The Designer, giving sight to that of luscious human women and deceptions- a word we shall indulge in our next class," he added when he spotted a hand going up.

Naaka's hand slowly went down as he continued,

"It was a shameful era. The gods were not as beautiful as mortals thought them to be. Taking wives, taking daughters. Cursing because someone happened to be better looking than the form a goddess was currently taking," he chuckled,

"All the little things. Praise from the people was required, along with sacrifices that did nothing but please their horrendous appetites, the so-called gods were falling from grace, like the guardians that ruled the earth before them, they failed their designer's creations."

I felt sad for a moment. It seemed like he was telling a very sad story, one that was painful to even speak about.

"Not everything that came out of that era was inherently bad, however," he suddenly added, sitting up straighter, "the gods realized that the offspring they had with mortals and beings from this world was different, a sort of combination." He grinned leaning in, "Listen closely Younglings, this is part where it gets good."

We chuckled at this but strained our ears as if they were not listening already, eyes watching his every move,

"a combination," he repeated, "of beings that had inherited part of their god-parents abilities, and these are those in this day and age we refer to as heroes."

My eyes widened at this information but bade my ears to listen on, he was about to explain something. Something I just knew would solve a piece of the puzzle that was Kingsland.

"You know the tales of Perseus, Theseus and of Hercules, perhaps some of you are yet to hear those of Imhotep one of the greatest builders in Egypt, Ntikuma, one of the wisest men to ever exist, The younger Orisha's, Tala, as beautiful as the stars, Saemingr and Yadhishthira, of the Norse and Hindu.." he trailed off chuckling at our dumbfounded faces.