[37.1]THE RIVALRY

•|•|•

"Basically, Lucas Bowne is the 'popular guy' around here."

•|•|•

LIRA PACED AROUND us momentarily as if she was giving us a moment to catch up, her hands swinging by her side as she turned back to face us with a sigh, her back against the door as she folded her arms.

"As I was saying, Rangi and Lwangi are easier to get along with, friendly to some extent, however as moderators they are more like goody two shoes in my opinion," she huffed, glancing over her fingernails before bringing them to her mouth.

My eyes dropped at the action, wincing a little as she plucked at them. It was such a bad habit, a habit I had taken months to get over thanks to Zali who said it was very un-princess-like. I watched as she spat out what I assumed was a fingernail, somewhere in the direction of Claire's wardrobe and I inwardly cringed, more than glad when she continued explaining the so-called hierarchy I had subtly noticed to some rough extent.

"How About Lucas Bowne? Where does he fit into all this," Claire asked, yet her eyes were on me with a knowing smirk. I frowned at this not at all enjoying her teasing.

"Lucas Bowne is ...eh," she trailed off with a slight shrug, "what can I say, he is the Alpha of the shifter world, thanks to his lineage of royal whatever the hell they were," she mumbled, "Lucas is more like Mr. Kingsland if Kingsland was a beauty pageant," she continued to further explain, her hands moving along with her words, seeming as if she was trying to meld them together.

"Much like little Miss Lawrence," she began glancing at me, "he is well-liked by the Prime teachers, which is understandable as he was one of the first students on this island. I would say he is fairly okay, the dude is extremely loyal, very authoritative, he runs the greens," she huffed, "and oh- never get on his bad side- it's just common sense when it comes to a Gigan-" I could see her visibly shiver for a moment before shaking her head, "I could honestly say Lucas is one of the most powerful converts on Kingsland- there is a reason why he doesn't have to go through the Kings Trails- until the King's Round of course," she muttered.

My eyebrows furrowed at this. He didn't have to go through the Kings' Trials just because he was powerful. That didn't seem fair at all, and it looked like Kingsland had its favorites for allowing that. But then, who could blame them?

Talk about pretty privilege, or was it power privilege?

"Wow- lower your upper lip a bit more and you'll be stuck frowning for life," Lira mocked, eyes on me. My eyes snapped back to her watching her laugh.

"I know what you're thinking, Reddy," she grinned, "but-" she raised a finger standing up straight, "I have done the math, there is no convert here whose power has been displayed that could even have a decent chance of defeating him, his hulk strength, coupled by his swiftness, his shifter forms and sizes is a hard take for a lot of converts- he is also immune to magic," she added looking down at us both.

My eyebrows arched at this important fact, eyes lowering on Lira, "That's right, not even you reds are a match for him, well to be fair he is immune to most magic- especially raw..." she trailed off, "by raw I mean magic drawn from spells, mostly."

"Spells," Claire stared blankly, seemingly enamored too.

"It's complicated don't think about it too much, from what I can tell he is immune to basic magic but I honestly can't be sure to what extent," she trailed off, her eyebrows arching seeming to be fazed by her thoughts, her tone lowering, "Old magic, however, seems to affect him slightly..."