[68.1] A NEW FRIEND

•|•|•

"Who is this dork?"

•|•|•

I WALKED OUT of the shower stalls feeling more refreshed than ever. The hallways were mostly empty I noticed. I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of the so-called Bonfire that was happening.

I guess that's how the Converts at Kingsland spent their Friday evenings.

After all, it was the beginning of the weekend. Arriving at my door, I pushed it open glancing around to make sure everything was still in place. Since I lost my keys, I couldn't very well lock the door before leaving.

Luckily for me, everything was still in place.

I swiftly changed into my pyjamas, feeling fresher than ever when I snuggled into my night slippers. My eyes trailed to the open window and I gingerly moved to withdraw the curtains. I couldn't help look but look down into the King's gardens, searching for any kinds of movements.

When I saw nothing, I moved to close the curtains, my eyes falling on the shiny trinket I had put on the table before going to shower.

I mindlessly fumbled around with it, moving to my bed, sitting cross-legged. I wanted nothing more than to be in this moment feeding my silence.

It felt like forever since I had come to Kingsland.

I never really had time for myself. I kind of missed the days I spent alone in my room just thinking about life and daydreaming about something more. I chuckled to myself at these thoughts.

Here I was having everything I dreamed of, friends, normal teenage life at a high school, and there I was wishing I could go back to the time when these were all simple wishes.

My gaze dropped to the pendent I was fondling, eyes tracing its shape. It was shaped a little like the sun, round in the middle but with curvy rays protruding from all around it in the most perfect little shape. The edges were designed with what seemed like the uttermost care. It also looked old for some reason. Shiny but old. I flipped it around, feeling rough cuts on it. Bringing it closer so that I could have a better view of it, I spotted the tiny engravings on the back. Two initials-

E&H

My eyebrows furrowed at this, fingers trailing over the engravings. H must stand for Harvest but what about the E?

The only people I had seen around Harvest were Daya and Raskei. Both were as different from each other as night and day, and neither of them had any one of their names beginning with an E.

Who was this mysterious E?

Harvest said the Trinket was very important to him, which meant whoever E is, was as equally as important to him- that's if she was still alive-

I assumed it was a she. Anyways. Harvest was right about something. The pendent was very pretty.

Knock, Knock

My head spun toward the door, looking at it quizzically. Who could that be? Daya would never knock but even if she did, there was no way it could be her. She seemed to have a clear agenda when she left and none of it sounded like she was coming back early.

My heart thudded inside my chest as another suggestion popped up in my mind, a dark shiver crossing my spine.

When the knock came yet again, I gathered up my courage moving toward the door. Taking a deep breath in I swung the door open my face almost getting knocked on when Claire stopped midway.