[114] THE LINE (part-one)

•|•|•

"I know you like watching me, but I promise I'm much more hypnotic when I'm standing right in front of you."

•|•|•

TONIGHT.

'WE WILL meet later tonight.' he had said.

I breathed out nervously, staring down at my watch. It was 22 minutes to midnight and I had been pacing in my room, waiting for a knock of some sort.

I did not know why I was waiting.

He never said he would pass by and yet deep down inside I had a feeling he was going to show up.

Just like he always did, especially when he wasn't wanted.

My watch beeped mimicking the time I had set.
Midnight.

I sucked in a breath at the sound of footsteps. I turned to face the door, staring at the shadow crossing it. My eyes narrowed down to the jiggle of the nob, air let loose from my lungs as it opened-

Daya walked in, raising an eyebrow at what I assumed was the sight of my frozen expression. I felt relieved and yet still tense as she gave me a look that I could only translate as 'What a weirdo.'

When she turned to close the door, I looked away, settling on my bed, and finally slipping into my covers.

Maybe he had forgotten- or maybe much like me, He was much too tired.

Either way, I wasn't complaining.

Pulling the covers up to my chin, I watched as Daya's figure moved around the room. When she moved to change into her pajamas I finally looked away, staring down at my hands.

Pursing my lips, I turned away facing the table, eyes landing on the fuzzy pink notebook that I had placed there earlier.

The last poem I had written down there wasn't even mine.

I couldn't stop thinking about the poems that Harvest had recited earlier. I was dying to hear more, the way the words were molded, was beautiful in every way.

To think that someone as arrogant and dark as Harvest was able to find some sort of beauty in those words, was enough for me to never doubt the power of a good poem.

I was about to reach out to take it when Daya's voice came through.

"Could you like, I don't know, close the windows?" she huffed as if it was the common sense I was failing to use, "For Pete's sake, it's midnight and they still open-"

I glanced at the half-open windows and then back at her, nodding with a small grunt, throwing the covers off me as I got up, feet snuggling into my warm fuzzy slippers as I reached out to close the windows but I almost froze in position at the sight of a shadow standing just before the King's Garden.

I knew who it was by the slight pick-up of my heartbeat as it went into a dramatic drum. We held eye contact for a few seconds, before he turned away, slipping into the darkness of the King's Garden. I froze in position, my knuckles tightening.

He was calling out to me.

He wanted me to follow him.

Into the restricted area. Again.

"Are you closing the windows or what?" Daya grunted out.

I shook out of my daze looking back at her robotically before closing the windows. I heard her mutter the word, 'weirdo' under her breath and I gritted my teeth,  glancing one more time at the King's Gardens where I had seen Harvest disappear.