[64.1] THE CROSSING

•|•|•

"I want to congratulate each of you for finishing your Origins cycle."

•|•|•

THE PRIME TEACHERS made their way up to the platform. There were more than 7 teachers up there. Seven was what I expected to see.

The most familiar ones were Mr. Ogustus himself, the black woman that I had only seen during the Inter-colors matches, Mr. Protheyus, Mr. Rashid Ashe from our very first match, and Gravis himself, being the last to emerge, trailing at the end of the Prime, his firm stance rooted at the end of the platform looking out at us.

The rest of the teachers took a seat on the chairs that had been placed on the platform. Claire nudged me once more, and my eyes turned to see Lucas Bowne and Andrew Myers walk up to the platform, standing beside Ellie and Daya.

Then I spotted Rangi and Lwangi walk in next with their signature staff, their midnight skin glowing healthily in the midday sun. Other students also got up on stage, ones that I didn't think I had seen just yet.

All our eyes rallied among those on stage talking amongst ourselves waiting for the intended program to start, but when all the people onstage did was look back at us, our talking shifted to low whispers between ourselves and then absolute silence.

For a minute or two, nothing happened almost as if the prime teachers were testing our silence. It was only after the pause that Gravis moved to the front of the stage, standing at his full height, his intimidating emotionally void face a comfort to only me, I was sure.

"Now that we have your attention," Gravis began, his voice was loud and commanding, the exact way I had known him all my life whenever he decided to talk.

Never directly to me of course, but usually when conversing with the army or the other guards in the palace back home. I didn't know how people could not tell from his mere stance alone and the venom and power of his voice that he had to have some background in the military.

Posture like that was only learned in the army or if you were as unfortunate as I was, and was born an heir to a kingdom.

"I wish to welcome you to the Crossroads," he continued, looking over our heads, "In the past week, each one of you has been taught the basics of Kingsland, and whilst it may have seemed like you have learned a lot, in truth, you have barely scratched the surface."

No kidding. I felt it in my bones there were too many things I didn't know of. Too many secrets I was yet to uncover.

"Each one of you, perspective to your class, was taught by one of Kingsland's elite," He said, my eyes traveled to Mr. Ogustus who was looking straight ahead too, leaning against his beloved cane, "but from today, you will be introduced and divided into your Color- Classes, according to your Dilect. As the last Cycle for this year, it is important you realize how lucky you are to be here," he added, "it is for this reason, I assume each of you understands that from now onwards, you are a part of something bigger than anything you could ever imagine and therefore your maximum effort is essential."

My gaze lingered away from Gravis, holding a breath in when I spotted Harvest slowly walk up the platform quite unnoticed as Gravis talked, Raskei appearing right behind him as they blended with the other students that stood in front of us.

I noticed that the 'original five' from Harvest to Lucas Bowne never wore uniforms like the rest of us. Rangi and Lwangi wore those West African robes drenched in an array of colourful patterns, a wooden staff at their side always, as they looked out over us.

Lucas kept it simple with a white shirt and some jeans.

Harvest? Well, he looked the same as usual, a Black shirt paired with a dark coat, dark jeans, and his boots. Raskei was the only girl that wore a boy's uniform, keeping it casual, with no tie, loose and open as much as possible so if anything, it didn't even look like a uniform.

I was surprised that Prime let it go just like that. I guess they were perks to being an original.

"I want to congratulate each of you for finishing your Origins cycle," he began, "Monday begins your true trials as you disperse in each of your classes that is why we call this gathering the Crossing. You will be leaving those you've known the last week, the knowledge you've gathered from the outside world, and opening your minds to great new possibilities about your abilities. We not only teach control here at Kingsland, but we also aim to give your dilect enough time, space, and guidance to reach your full potential, for yours is so much more than humans. You... are Dilectus."

The words sank in, and I slowly gulped, knowing these words weren't for me. I glanced at Claire and noticed a small smile on her face as she watched the platform. Gravis's words were if anything motivational, but I was not among those it was helping and so I couldn't help but feel like a fraud. 

My eyes suddenly snapped up to Harvest but he wasn't paying attention to me thank goodness, but at this point, I wasn't as naïve to think he hadn't seen me, no matter how much I wished that had been the case.

"Here at the Crossroads, we introduce you to the structure of Kingsland," Gravis commenced with a deep sigh, placing his hands behind his back, standing shoulder-width apart, like the army general he could have very much been, "at the head of Kingsland rules the King."

My eyes stayed on Gravis as he spoke. The King. Dad.

"He is not here at our Gathering, "he explained, "the Kings has many duties, including running a kingdom-"

Technically Kingdoms. I thought to myself

"And so, he is only able to show himself, once a year. Unfortunately for you, your cycle has come in late, and the King's Visit has long passed for this year."

It saddened me for a moment for reasons I couldn't quite gather at the moment. I knew I wasn't seeing my father anytime soon and yet some of me hoped I would.

"For your seven colors; Reds, Greens, Yellows, Silvers, Oranges, Blues, and Golds, you have your prime teachers and the secondary teachers under them. For the reds, " he began slightly turning, his eyes settling on the black woman from before seated comfortably in the chair with her pet dog on her lap which she was stroking calmly.

"Miss Lucile Almulese and your assigned secondary teacher for this cycle, Mr. Amin. My eyes trailed to a Middle Eastern-looking man standing behind Miss Almulese. It was then I realized that the prime teachers were seated whilst the secondary's stood behind them in a line.

"Greens, Mr. Ogun Ogustus, and his secondary for this cycle, Sue." I looked at the woman standing in almost the exact mirrored pause as Gravis was.  She was tall and bulky, with muscular arms and a rigid face with a noticeable jawline. 

She wore a plain army green shirt, tucked in sharply in her belted trousers accompanied by combat boots.

Claire and exchanged looks and I could tell we were thinking the same thing. She looked extra tough.

"Mr. Po Protheyus of the Gold's, and his secondary for this cycle..." I glanced momentarily back at Daya whom I noticed was playing with the trinket in her pocket as her eyes traveled down the rest of us. My eyes glanced over at Harvest who still didn't seem to be paying anything much mind, eyes also straight ahead.

Maybe it was me that was overthinking things.

•~•
Tap the star below to vote!
•~