11

My mother came back home during dinner, and when we were eating, I brought up the topic about double mates.
"Mom, Dad."
"Has there ever been a werewolf that had two mates?"
"Like, a person can feel the mate bond towards two people?" I asked, and my mother looked at my father, in case he knew of something.
"I don't think there has been."
"But if there is, then we should find it in our history books, right?" My father said, but I wasn't satisfied.
"Even if it happens, the mate bond will eventually choose for itself."
"It is against the order of the moon king."
"So, fate will force the mate to choose between the two."
"It's just basic knowledge", my mother added.

So, Paige would have to choose between us.
Would she really give up her position as Luna for me?
I don't think so.
She was born to be a Luna, and I couldn't take that away.
But, my heart wanted to, yet, I couldn't think of it.
I tossed and turned in my bed that night, wondering what the future of Paige, Zayne and I held.
She was drawn to me, but she was also drawn to him too.
And, thinking about them together ached my soul.
The ceremony was in two days, and my wolf was panicking.
If they mated, she would be connected to him, and she would start to forget me.
In the end, one of us would have to reject one another.

The thought of her rejecting me was like a sour taste in my mouth, and I chased away such thoughts.
When I finally found the strength to sleep, the sun snuck its head through the clouds.
I closed my eyes slowly, and was able to sleep, but my sleep lasted the whole day.
I needed that sleep.
Being the Beta was just as hard as being an Alpha, only that he had more authority than I did.
It was night, and I was dying to see her.
I showered and dressed up to eat dinner with my family, since I was sleeping throughout the day.
The Alpha suddenly barged into my head, taking me by surprise.

"You did not report me on the Luna's condition", Zayne said with distaste.
"Apologies, Alpha."
"She made it through the night, although her screaming could be heard throughout the house", I said, the lies flowing of my mouth like a stream.
"Good."
"Let's see if she can disrespect me again."
"After all, I am the only one that her body desires."
"And, I will make sure she begs me to touch her."
"She'll forget she was ever disobedient!" He spoke in an amusing way, and Ralph growled inside of me.

He didn't have respect for her, and it was annoying the hell out of me.
"I'll be back tomorrow evening."
"Keep the little Alpha queen busy", he said and disappeared from my mind.
"I hate that dude so much!"
"How dare he say such derogatory words about our mate?"
"Because she is his Luna, he thinks he can do whatever he feels like?" Ralph growled, threatening to come out and find Zayne.
"Chill out."
"He's still the Alpha, but he cannot disrespect our mate like that", I said to him.
"He was wrong about one thing though", Ralph replied.
"What's that?" I thought.
"She does not desire him."
"He has never even looked at her in that way."
"She wants you, and Rose wants me too", he replied.
He was right.
She wanted me, not him.

I was eager to see her, so I went to the house at noon the next day, and all the maids were busy with the preparations.
The ceremony would be held in the court room of the house, and every pack member was to be present, unless otherwise.
When I went to the living room, she was chatting with her friend.
They didn't seem to notice my presence, and I didn't want to intrude.
The friend however, noticed me and bowed to me.
"Beta", she said.
"Hello ladies."
"Luna", I bowed.
"Greetings, Beta", she said, her voice sounding foreign.
"I am here to check up on you."
"The Alpha will be coming in the evening, so I will be in his office, tending to his work", I said, and she looked uninterested.

"Beta, I must say, you look handsome."
"If only you were my mate", her friend said, causing me to blush a bit.
"Thh-, thank you for the compliment."
"I hope you find your mate soon", I said.
"If you'll excuse me", I added, leaving them alone.
Her friend was really something else.
I was in Zayne's office, organising the scattered documents on the table, when I came across a treaty.
It just came in from the mail, and I was sure that Zayne was unaware of this.

A pack from the west, Blood Lupis pack were trying to sign a pact with the River Moon pack.
Zayne definitely wouldn't agree, seeing that he hated the Alpha of that pack.
The alpha was his father's friend, and he was among the people who caused his father to kill his mother.
I wondered why they wanted a treaty all of a sudden, and I knew he wouldn't spare the file a glance, so I put it in the shredder instead.
I heard giggling and I looked out the window and saw Paige with her friend on the training fields.
They looked happy and I smiled at my mate.
Also she was far away, I could see her crystal clear because of my werewolf ability.
Both our sight and hearing was impeccable, and since I had beta blood, my senses were stronger, almost as strong as Zayne's.