16

Author's POV

At first, he thought could bear it.
The heart breaking moments, of his mate with another man.
A tear fell from his eyes as the doors closed, leaving Paige alone with Zayne.
He sat on his bed, lights off, and the trees making noises outside.
If he calculated well, he would soon feel it.
He waited, and waited.
But, it never came.
He started to wonder if it would come, or, if he would live to see the night.
Then, it struck.
It felt like he was being branded with a hot iron, and then, he heard her voice.

She didn't sound like she was regretting it, in fact, he could hear the lust in her voice, followed by Zayne's muffled moans.
"Make it stop!"
Ralph yelled, threatening to come out and tear Zayne to pieces.
Adrian started to feel lightheaded, and there was a sharp pain in his chest.
He immediately left the room, his brain hazy from the pains he was feeling.
His hearing became heightened, and from behind the door, he could hear their antics.
"How could she?" Ralph asked in a sad voice.
"I have to leave", Adrian said, and he went in the dark forest, stumbling on the dirty ground.

The burning feeling in his heart became intense, and he struggled to keep Ralph at bay.
His mate was with his best friend, and he was going to mark her.
"Why?" Adrian whispered, his breathing getting heavy.
Before his eyes, stood a woman, dressed in lilac, and she came to his side.
Freckles and long brown hair, and her ears were that of an elf.
She looked like a fairy, and silver creeping plants clothed her bare arms.
"You poor thing", she said, and put Adrian's head in her laps.

"I am sorry you have to go through all this", she said in a calm voice, almost as soothing as honey itself.
"I, cannot breathe", he said, the mate bond getting severed by every minute.
"You must survive."
"She is still your mate, regardless."
"Only one of you can be her true mate, and I vouched for you!" She further said, making Adrian confused.
"What, what do you mean?" He asked, and immediately, he felt a stabbing pain in his heart.

Zayne had marked her.

"I'll kill him!" Ralph said, forcing his way out of Adrian.
"No!" The woman yelled, but Ralph pushed her away.
He was about to head for the pack house when the woman stretched her hand to him, causing Ralph to freeze.
"You must not interfere!"
"He is her first mate, and you cannot change it."
"You are only feeling this way, because of me..and my sister", the woman said, and Ralph whimpered.
"I'm sorry, but, it has to be done."
"And you must prove to me that I chose the right mate for her", she added, touching the head of Ralph, before she disappeared.

Slowly, Adrian shifted back, and laid on the cold forest floor, naked.
"No", he said in a slow tone.
"Don't do it", he added, even though it had already been done.
At that moment, their voices began to echo in his head, causing a huge migraine to him.
When his body could no longer take it, he passed out.
The same moment that Zayne ejaculated inside her.
It was done, and there was nothing that could separate them from each other.
Not even her second mate, Adrian.
As long as she mated with Zayne, she would naturally be attached to him, and soon, she would forget Adrian existed.
But, the woman told him to prove to her that she chose right.

What did she mean?

Morning came, and Adrian was still passed out on the floor.
His body was as cold as ice, and different insects were crawling on his bare skin.
"Adrian."
"Adrian!"
The alpha's voiced sounded distorted in his mind.
"Adrian!"
"Where the hell are you!"
Zayne's voice rang again, this time, more clearer than before.
Slowly, Adrian opened his eyes, and the sun was hiding behind the forest trees.
There was a fog surrounding the area, as it was the early hours of the day.
"A-, alpha", Adrian said in a tired voice.
The minute he spoke, his chest ached, and his throat hurt.

"I need you", The alpha said and Adrian sighed.
He slowly got up, dusting his bare body.
"Ralph", he said in his mind.
"Ralph?" There was no reply.
"Don't do this to me", Adrian begged. He couldn't have a dormant wolf at this point.
His position as beta would be in danger if anyone found out about this.
"I know you're there."
"And I know you're hurt."
"But, please, don't leave me."
"We only have each other", he begged, his voice breaking and tears fighting their way out of his eyes.
"I want to see her", Ralph finally said.
"Okay", Adrian replied, grabbing his torn clothes and trying to cover his lower waist.

He walked to the pack house, feeling weak and out of breath.
The pains of last night were still there, and he remembered everything, except the encounter with the fairy-like lady.
She wasn't supposed to reveal herself to him until the lunar eclipse, but, because he was in so much pain, she disobeyed her father and went to comfort him, thereby breaking the rules of the match with her twin sister.
"Explain yourself, Janelle", the moon king, King Ethan, asked his first daughter.
"I'm sorry, father."
"He was in a lot of pain, and I only eased it for him", Janelle said, with her head down.
"What did I tell you?"
"Do not interfere!"
"This is a fair match between you and your sister, Julia!"
King Ethan yelled from his heavenly throne.

"Or, do you want to forfeit all rights to your sister?" He asked.
"No!"
"I will rule the lycans!"
Janelle yelled, her voice echoing the palace.
"What's all this noise about?" Julia asked as she entered the throne room.
"Your sister must have forgotten the rules of this match", Ethan said, and Julia looked at her sister in annoyance.
"I warned you, Janelle!"
"Stay out of Paige and Zayne's life!"
"Our job is to make sure that she chooses one of them, and the minute you try to cheat, everything will be over, and I get to rule the werewolves", she said, as though she had full conviction that she would be the new moon goddess.

"I do not want to hear it."
"Janelle, for your mistake, Adrian's wolf will be dormant until the eclipse!" Ethan commanded, leaving Janelle in surprise.
"But father, how can he be the beta if his wolf is not there?" Janelle begged.
"And whose fault is that?"
"What did I tell you to do?"
"Learn the importance of mates."
"See carefully, to understand why I created fate mates, and why soulmates cannot live without each other."
"And how important the mate bond is, and why it should not be shared between anyone, except two werewolves only."
"That is one of the key reasons why I created mates for the lycans."
"So that they can live, knowing that another shares their soul", Ethan explained.

"So, you had no place to interfere with what I have created."
"You disobeyed me, as the moon god, and also, as your father."
"It would not be fair to your sister, if I let you off so easily, would it?" Ethan asked, earning a slow nod from Janelle and a satisfied smile from Julia.
"Be gone now."
"And, no more meeting with Adrian until the eclipse", he said, and dismissed his daughters.
"Give it up sis."
"You may be older by a minute, but it's obvious I'm better to rule", Julia said to her sister as they went up the stairs.
"Really?"
"And who's fault is it?"
"That our mother died after you came out?" Janelle bit back.