Chapter 9

Realisation did not dawn on his face. He slowly turned around to face Lily. He stared at her for a second or two before replying, 'I am Shane Killean but I don't seem to recognise you.' Lily was baffled. She had not expected this coming at her. She said, still recovering in shock, 'Shane? You don't remember me?'.
He replied nonchalantly, 'Umm... No?'. Lily just stood there assessing her situation. He didn't remember her. She didn't know what to say, 'Sorry... Okay... Yeah.... Thanks... Whatever'. She walked off, tears in her eyes daring to fall. She didn't wanna cry in front of Shane so she walked as quickly as her legs could take her to Chris.
Chris was still half sleeping on the beach bed. When Lily came back he didn't look up, instead he asked, 'How was the beach single lady?'. Lily couldn't handle it any more, tears were flowing down her cheeks, fast and she couldn't control them. Chris immediately sat up and hugged her. 'Lily stop crying and listen to me'. He pushed her chin up, she was now facing him. 'Talk it out. It's gonna help', he promised.
Lily started off, 'I saw someone on the plane today, this guy... He seemed very familiar... Like an old friend... He was in the bus too today... But I didn't have a chance to look at him.... So when I saw him on the beach today I bottled up my courage and went behind him.... And Chris.... It was.... Shane'.
She started crying real hard, 'Oh Chris... He doesn't remember me any more.... How could he?.... After all the times we spent together... Laughing off all our worries.... Sitting at the last seat... How could he?..... Forget all those lovely memories...? Huh?'.
Chris hugged her again. 'Dude, chill, let's go back to the room. Everything's gonna be fine.
Lily dried off her tears, they went back to the room. She put on loud music in the bathroom and danced off all her emotions, all her tension in the shower. Faintly she could hear Chris sing too. She laughed.
'Is that a laugh I hear, single lady?' he said. She laughed again. Chris could calm her down real soon, she was grateful to have a friend like him.
She came out of the shower with a long white F. R. I. E. N. D. S t-shirt, with a pair of shorts underneath.
The pair spent rest of the time jumping on the hotel bed and singing 'I'll be there for you' with pretty dramatic dance moves.
After a good 10 minutes they fell on the bed, tired and panting.
Lily couldn't keep it in. She had long and hard thought about the consequences of the question she was gonna ask Chris and came to the conclusion that she could bear them. 'Oi Chris', she said.
'Ya Lilz?', he responded
'You like Zara right?', she continued her question hiding her face.
'Come on dude. No. I mean... She's so... Sister like... '
'Dontchya lie to me Rodgers, I know you in and out', she said getting up.
He got up too, making this expression he almost always made when they were gonna have a debate. Unfortunately Lily always lost. But today she was gonna get the truth.
In school too Zara and Chris used to be the cutest couple ever, almost everybody thought they were dating.
But, Lily had known, even when they were star gazing, even when Zara walked off to check out the swimming pool guy.
'Huh. Stop Joking' said Chris, already in the mood for putting up a fight.
'Chris, don't lie to me. I can see by the way you look at her' she said, comfortingly. 'Look me in the eye and tell me you don't like her. Come on Rodgers.'
That was it. He put his hands up, laughing.
'You got me, single lady. I do like her. But if you tell her imma stick your face up your own ass'.
'Ouch', Lily replied and they both laughed. 'Since when tho?'
Chris blushed, Lily had never seen him do that, he gave the impression of being such a tough guy. 'I think after she admitted she had a crush on Gale. I mean, I felt this pang of jealousy. I've never felt like this before...for any of her crushes. That's when I realised...ya know.. Don't make me say it again and again okay?!'
Lily was so happy for him. After ages Chris had had a crush on somebody. All these years he used to say "I don't have time for love" and all other shit.
Suddenly the door opened and in came Zara with a black t-shirt of some guy over her bikini, there was an unfamiliar smile on her face. The room seemed to fall silent after she murmured why she was so happy.
'I hooked up with him'
.......