||19

Friday, June 19th

Zuko

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

"Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?" My Uncle was getting a massage, I rolled my eyes. I needed to hunt the Avatar, I'm sure at this very moment, Kaida has already found the Avatar an earth Bending Master to learn from.

I clenched my fists, she was quick, witty, and smart. I liked her much more when she was on my side. But when she was against me, I let out a sigh as I walked over to him and sat down. I rest my head in my hands.

I missed Kaida. Especially on days like today. I looked out at the sea, we washed up on this very peaceful island. I wish I had more closure, I wish I got out what I was trying to say to her before that wave hit us. I let out yet another sigh.

     "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" Uncle Iroh looked at me with a frown. I pulled my hat that was covering my face down lower. I hated today, today was the day I was banished three years ago. I grimaced.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all." I slowly looked up, clenching my fists. "I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless. I want Kaida by my side again." I wanted to hit something to get my rage out. I felt hopeless, everything I wanted and needed was so far out of reach.

"Love is strong!" Iroh said with annoying optimism, "Kaida is probably thinking about you right now." He sighed as if he was remembering his late wife. "I'm sure your father doesn't think you're worthless! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

I gave him a confused look, that's exactly what it meant to be banished, to be much trouble. Not caring about his eldest son. I put my hands down on the step I was sitting on, pushing myself up. I walked away and back into the room I was staying in.

I sat down at the table, my head resting on my cheek. "What do I do?" I looked outside, the clouds were overhead, signaling that there was a storm coming. The weather reflected my mood. I sighed and pulled the ink in the corner of the desk close to me. Kaida said that she always wrote to me when she was feeling down.

I pulled out the drawer and retrieved a brush and paper. I dipped the brush in and started writing my feelings out to Kaida.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

"Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come." Iroh came storming in. I lifted my brush, looking at him. I set it off to the side as I rolled my eyes.

"We don't need any more useless things. You forget we have to carry everything ourselves now." I folded the paper and created a firebird. I rolled up the paper a little more so it fits into the claws of my bird. "To Kaida." A little smile played on my lips as I watched the bird fly out the window and into the horizon. It had been a long time since I had written to her. She must have sent me at least ten letters after I sent her a single one.

"Who was that too?" Uncle Iroh stood next to me, his hands in his pockets, following my bird. Kaida taught me how to do that a long time ago. One of her main lessons to me.

"Zuko!" She stomped over to me, her arms crossed over her little chest. She was a year younger than me, nine years old, but she had so much fury within her. "I told you! Stop using fire as just a tool!" She raised a fist. "Fire is a life of its own. Treat it with respect!" She said as she put fire into her fist.