||41

Sunday, July 12th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    We looked off into the distance, the ravine below us. I was excited to learn this new skill! Nobody knows everything and there is always room to learn something new. "There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang; positive energy and negative energy." He holds up one finger on each hand to stand for the two forms of energy.

    Then he continued, "only a select few fire benders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance and in a moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together." He brings his hands together to illustrate the point. "You provide release and guidance, creating lightning."

    Iroh holds out a hand, signaling for us to step back. He holds his right hand to his side and with two fingers extended begins to create lightning by rotating his arm in a circular motion around his body. He mimics the motion with his left arm. He brings his two hands together and then lunges forward with his right hand extended and shoots lightning into the distance.

    I couldn't contain my gasp, this was my first time seeing anything like this. Zuko jumps on it, "I'm ready to try it!"

Iroh started rubbing his injured shoulder slightly, "Remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide. Breathe first."

    He gave me a sheepish smile, knowing that I was ready to start now, even though I am not good at expressing it like Zuko.

    Zuko breathes in and closes his eyes. He then begins to mimic the motions that Iroh performed, except that he does not create traces of lightning. He shouts and shoves his right hand forward, but it merely causes a fiery explosion that shoves him backward. He falls on his back next to Iroh. Iroh shakes his head slightly. "Why can't I do it? Instead of lightning, it keeps exploding in my face! Like everything always does!"

    I sigh and reach a hand down to him, he grasps it and stands up. "Ba sing Se wasn't built in a day." I looked back to Iroh, "patience." I glance up at him with a smile, "crazy, how I'm learning with you."

    I swear I saw a twitch of a smile coming onto his lips. "I was afraid this might happen. You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you." That's when I raised a brow. I thought this was all about energies, not emotions. Well, Fire Bending is fueled on emotion, so I guess it makes sense.

    Zuko turns to him, an angry look on his face. "What turmoil?" He said, enraged. What was up with him, he was never like this when I was teaching him. He was always like a docile little bunny. I thought back to little Zuko. Awe, I just want to squeeze his cheeks.

     "Zuko, you must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away," Iroh said, putting a hand on his shoulder with reassurance.

    "But I don't feel any shame at all! I'm as proud as ever!" I thought back to the time that I was forced into his body. Oh, that reminds me! I needed to teach him how to not almost kill me when he steals my fire.

    Now wasn't a good time though, it looks like he was already a bit prickly, due to him not being able to catch onto this technique. Little did he know, that the reason I haven't even tried it yet was that I was watching him iron it out for me.

    "Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame." Iroh explained looking over at me.