||42

Sunday July, 12th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    We were on the road again. I was walking beside the horse bird thingy, Hyo by my side. He was now the size of a horse. I could ride him, but he would get tired, I will only do it if it was necessary. "Ugh." Iroh made a groan that made me snap up towards him. Zuko was riding behind him, we were taking turns riding.

    "Maybe we should make camp." Zuko started looking down at his slouched Uncle with worry.

    "I second that," I said with a nod.

    "No, please, don't stop for me!" Uncle Iroh groaned out which made me roll my eyes. No point putting on the tough guy act when he was only going to act like a baby.

    Iroh lets out several more pained groans. Zuko pulls the reigns of the Ostrich-Horse, stopping it. He and Iroh dismount and I was there to catch Iroh who practically fell off. Iroh groans and takes a seat on a large flat rock. The Ostrich-Horse perks up, pricking its ears. Clearly, it detects something unusual. Zuko takes a defensive posture.

    I looked over to Hyo who was sitting next to me, his spine straight, as if he was on alert. I used my fire, there were definitely people approaching, and from the looks of it, foes more likely than friends.

    "What now?" Uncle Iroh groaned, getting annoyed as he laid down on top of a rock.

    Rough rhinos streak through the foliage around them. Colonel Mongke's rhino stamps the ground forcefully, breaking the surface crust he pulls back on the rhino's reins. I haven't seen these guys in years. These people were supposedly the top fighters in the Fire Nation. Zuko continues his defensive posture. Iroh brightens and places a hand on our shoulders.

    "Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!" Iroh smiles. I knew of these people, they were legends in the palace! Of course, Iroh has met them.

    "If you're surprised we're here then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps." Mongke looks stern. He emphasizes his remarks by making sparks with his bracers. His men ready their weapons. I drop into my stance, and Hyo steps in front of me protectively.

    "You know these guys?" Zuko looked over to Iroh who had a smile on his face.

    "Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Riders are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapons specialist. They are also a very capable singing group." He laughed, rubbing his belly.

    "Ursa would tell me all sorts of stories about them." I took a step closer to Zuko, my voice at a whisper.

    "Mom?" He gave me a glance, I nodded my head. We were pulled back to real life at the voice of the leader facing us.

    "We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!" He growled. How can friends turn their backs on one another? I looked at Iroh to see that he wasn't concerned at all. I raised a brow, what in the world was going on? Iroh was acting as he has just met up with old friends that don't want to kill him. When in reality its the opposite. I looked into the leaders eyes, he definitely wants us dead.

   "Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? I take you as a jasmine man. Am I right?" He looked at one of the other ones, one with a bow.

    "Enough stalling! Round 'em up!"

    The dark-skinned, ponytailed fighter swings his ball and chain at Iroh. Iroh kicks the ball away. The ball, redirected, wraps its chain around the foot of another warrior's rhino. Iroh dodges the fire blasts by tumbling along the ground. He rises back up to swat the rump of the rhino that had been chained. The rhino runs off, yanking the dark-skinned warrior who had one end of the chain attached to his belt as well as its own rider. Iroh waves as he watches them go.