||64

Wednesday, August 19th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

     There was a wave of relief as I saw the gAang head into the cave in the distance. "There they are!" I pointed Hyo forward, the thrill of seeing my friends hit me like a strong punch.

    Then there was a wave of dread that followed shortly after. "I need to apologize," I said a hand on my face. I needed to apologize with my life. Would that be enough? The majority of the problem was because of me. Would they let me back into the group? I shook my head. Take it step by step. We landed at the front of the cave.

    "Someones here!" Toph yelled and that made me flinch. Everyone turned my way, I made eye contact with each one of them. Friends, relief flooded into me. I looked to Aang to see he was healthy, his hair has grown out but he was safe.

    I dropped down to my knees, "I'm sorry." I begged, "I'm sorry, Aang." I said I would protect him but I failed. I failed so miserably. I don't know if he could forgive.

    "What are you apologizing for?" His bubbly voice filled the cave. I opened one eye to peek at him. He was smiling down at me, he seemed to be relieved to see me too. Now that I see it, it looked like everyone was relieved.

    "I failed you, I said I would protect you," I looked down again. "I underestimated them, I'm sorry." I apologized again.

    "What are you saying sorry for," Sokka put both of his hands on my arm forcing me to stand. "I heard you beat the crap out of them!" Sokka cheered. "To the brink of death." I flinched at the term. Well, I guess it was true.

    "Yeah, without you we couldn't have escaped safely," Katara stepped forward and embraced me into a hug. "I am so glad you are safe." I heard what sounded like a sob. "You don't know how happy I was to get a letter from you." She squeezed me tighter.

    "Yeah if you are going to apologize for anything, apologize for scaring the heck out of us," Toph punched my arm. "We all thought you were dead!" She flailed her arms. I chuckled, hugging all of them.

     I looked over to Aang, "if I can help it, it will never happen again." The memory of him getting shot with lighting haunts me. Then I thought came to my mind, and my heart hurt at the idea of it. I flinched at the memory.

    "Don't worry Kaida! I was never mad at you, and I won't ever be." He put a hand over Katara's body onto my shoulder. I pushed myself down at the waist and bowed at 90-degrees.

    "Thank you." Then I squared my shoulders facing all of them. "Well!" I clapped my hands together. "What's the plan now!" A smile was back on my face. I failed to protect Aang one, but I won't fail again. I felt lightning crackle in my veins.

    They looked between one another and shrugged, "well for now the plan is to get get to the invasion by the end of the month but till then... This is how we'll be living hiding in a cave after cave...after cave...after cave..." Sokka's head drops further to his chest with each repetition of the word. I laughed and put my hands on my hips.

    I grew up in a cave, this would be a breeze! Then Katara spoke up, "Sokka, we don't need to become cave people. What we need are some new clothes." Then they looked over to me and I raised my brow.

   "Yeah, blending in is better than hiding out. If we get Fire Nation disguises, we'll be just as safe as we would be hiding in a cave." His smile widened as if an idea came to his head. Was I missing something? "So..." He rubbed his hands together. "Point us in the direction of clothes Fire Woman!" I rolled my eyes.