||54

Friday, July 31st

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    I shot up, rubbing my eyes. What a weird dream, it felt so real, yet I knew with was fake. I look down at my tattoo only to see it glowing. That gave me a jump, why was Baba trying to warn me? "You're burning up. You have an intense fever. This will help cool you down." Iroh's words drew mine out of the thought bubble. I kicked my legs over the side of the bed. 

    "So thirsty." Zuko's voice was so tired. "Is Kaida still not home?" I step into the room and his eyes met my own.

    "I'm right here." I smile down at him, my arms crossed over my chest, leaning on one of the sliding green and white doors. Zuko tries to sit up but is pushed back down by Iroh. It looked like Iroh hasn't moved from his spot since I had gone to bed. How long was I asleep for, it felt like a few years.

    "Here's some clean water to drink." Iroh ladles water from another bucket, and supports Zuko's shoulders while he drinks, "stay under the blankets, and sweat this out." This was due to me feeding him fire he did not need, sending is the immune system into overdrive. This is all I could do to keep Zuko from losing his fire for a while.

    Zuko fell back to sleep and I laid down next to him, my hands raised to the sky, playing with my fingers. "How was your sleep?" Iroh asked me, I glanced to the side and shrugged my shoulders.

    "I had a weird dream." I looked back to my fingers, "I can't fall asleep after something like that." I sighed and rested my hands over my eyes.

    "What was it about?" Iroh said peering over at me with a tinge of worry.

    I laugh and shook my head, "I couldn't tell you." I had no idea what it was about, but it felt important.

    After a while, we heard Zuko start to stir awake. "What's that smell?" Zuko groaned and Iroh was stirring a thick white paste in a steaming pot next to the bed. I lean over to see Zuko was now awake. I smile and turn on my stomach, lifting my head up with my hands.

    "It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it." I said with a humm, Iroh was making it for us, it was one of the foods fire benders eat to help replenish one's fire. We learned it from the Air Nomads many years ago. Zuko bows over the pot, inhaling, as Iroh leans back in shock.

    Zuko starts speaking pleasantly, "Actually, it smells delicious. I'd love a bowl, Uncle." I almost collapsed to the floor, my hands almost giving out, was this the Zuko I knew? He picks up and holds out a bowl. I reach out for his fire only for it to be burning in a different way, it seemed like his fire found another way to strive.

    "Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow." Iroh gave a suspicious look at Zuko. Iroh and me both, this wasn't the Zuko I knew, but it was good to see his fire was alive and very well, and his fever has broken.  In the background of my thoughts, Iroh ladles some jook into the proffered bowl.

   "It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop. Things are looking up Uncle." Then he looks over to me, "I'm happy you are with us too, Kaida." My arms gave out and I smacked to the bamboo floor. Someone has kidnapped the Prince Zuko I knew and replaced him with an imposter.

    Zuko moves to the table and kneels as he speaks, sipping from the bowl and looking out an open window. Iroh's concerned look melts into a pleased smile at his nephew's new attitude. "How are you feeling?" I sat up looking at Zuko with a tiny bit of weariness. Maybe I broke him on accident.