||39

Thursday, July 9th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    We got to work, instantly. We didn't have a lot of time because we knew that Azula was on our tail. We took to Appa and started washing him down, making sure to stop his sheading. We were scrubbing him with sticks and watched it flow downstream.

     "Toph was right. Appa's fur was leaving a trail right to us. But now that he's clean, no more trail!" He cheered and I sat down, my eyes drooping down. Today has been such a long day, I was ready to hit the hay. I could fall asleep standing up at the moment.

      "Are you sure that he's okay to fly?" I heard Katara ask.

     "He'll be fine as long as we leave his saddle and all our stuff here. I'm going to use Appa's fur to make a fake trail and lead the tank off course."

    "I'll go with him." I shake myself awake. "Hyo needs flying training, and I'll make sure Aang is safe." Katara and Sokka looked to me, nodding their heads. They knew that they could trust me with Aang.

    Moments later, Sokka and Katara mount Appa and take off. Aang looks at me and opens his glider. "Are you sure Hyo can hold you?" We look over to my dragon.

    "We won't know till we try." I smile and walk over to Hyo. "Hi, buddy." I rub behind his horns that are now starting to poke out from his skull. He tilted his head, curious about what I was doing.

    "May I get on?" I put my hand on his back, and he didn't move. He looked at me concerned.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    It worked, even though he is a little small and can't take me long distances, at least he was willing to try. And it was enough, we weren't going far. We were dropping piles of Appa's fur as we flew away, I kept giving Hyo words of encouragement. Soon we were out of the forest and into the desert. We land in an abandoned town.

    I instantly hop off my little buddy giving him lots of rubs in appreciation, "who's a good dragon." He let out little mii's in response. Aang in front of me folds up his glider and walk down the main road. I raise a brow as I follow after him, now on foot.

    I look around to see that this place is completely abandoned and probably hadn't had residences for many, many years. You could see windows without glass, and houses without walls. 

    There was a bell that kept ringing in the distance. I looked around for it, but it wasn't in sight. He sat down, cross-legged at the end of the main street. I stood next to him, looking out as he closed his eyes. "Now we wait?" I looked down at him.

    "Now we wait." Aang sighed

    I took this time to play with Hyo. I couldn't sleep on the job, and my job was to protect Aang. I was his first and last line of defense, which means I needed to be on alert. "Fetch!" I toss the stick and Hyo catches it in his mouth before blasting over to me. "Good boy!" I squeal, taking it from him.

    Then I felt someone's fire from behind me. Hyo and I turn out body to see Azula approaching. "Aang," I mumble his name quietly. Where was Ty Lee and Mai? If it was just Azula... I let out a sigh, thank fire. "She's here."

    Hyo sat down next to me, squaring up Azula as she approached. Aang took this time to stand, with the help of his glider. "Alright, you've caught up with me. Now who are you and what do you want?" Did I not tell him who she was?