DESTINATION MORE IMPORTANT THAN JOURNEY

Casterly Rock 294 AC.

Oberyn.

The news of the babe had lifted spirits temporarily at the Rock, both he and Ellaria had given their best wishes to the new parents and he had even been allowed to hold the babe, something only possible in this strange new world he lived in. Being welcomed at Casterly Rock, being friendly with Lannisters, holding Jaime Lannister's babe in his arms, all of it had become second nature, which was strange in of itself.

But while most of the inhabitants were celebrating and while on the face of it so was Tyrion, it was clear to him and even more so to Ellaria that something was wrong with their friend. Even without his nephew's words he'd have noticed, he was drinking more, was quieter and less quick with a smile or a laugh. It was almost as if he was forcing himself to look happy even if he was anything but.

"You should speak to him my love." Ellaria said as he dressed.

"We should." he said back and she shook her head.

"No, sometimes men need men, go speak to him, I'll be there for him when he needs me." she said as he kissed her and left the room taking the lift up to the family wing.

Tyrion was not a morning person usually, both he and Ellaria had found that out during there time with him and no amount of teasing could change it. So seeing him breaking his fast alone only made Oberyn that much more determined to get to the bottom of whatever it was that was on his mind. He took his seat beside him quietly, didn't speak, and just watched as Tyrion went through the motion of eating, as he sat there almost in a daze.

"Come." he said standing up and walking to him.

"What?" Tyrion asked and looked surprised to see him there.

"Come my friend, it's time we talked."

"I'm fine Oberyn." Tyrion said shaking his head.

"Don't make me carry you." he said and Tyrion looked at him expecting to see a smile but instead he found him standing there looking at him with a serious expression on his face.

Reluctantly Tyrion followed him and they took the lift to the bottom and walked into the vaults, Tyrion glaring at him all the way. They passed Jon's room and he saw the small look Tyrion gave to the door, then as they walked out to the beach Tyrion hesitated.

"I don't want to go out there."

"Tyrion."

"No."

"Tyrion, look at me." Oberyn said kneeling down to look him in his eyes.

"We must talk, please my friend, talk to me."

Tyrion didn't reply but he did nod and so they walked out onto the beach, the sun was beaming down and the beach was empty, he saw Tyrion look to a spot further up but he instead brought him to the water's edge. Grabbing a shell from the ground he rolled it in his hands and then leaning back threw it as far into the water as he could. He bent down and repeated the process, before turning to hand one to Tyrion.

"What do you want me to do with this?" Tyrion said his voice sullen.

"Throw it as far as you can, go one, show me."